CHAPTER 17

We arrived December 22nd. It was night. It was cold. The San Francisco base said a B-24 with a dragon came by, but left for Ohio after a quick refuel. We refueled as well and started up again for Ohio.

       We landed in Ohio where the military planes were categorized by type. There was no snow, and it was not even forty degrees. We went to the B-24 section and looked at the chart that had the nicknames of the planes in rows. We found Glory written in the middle of a row. We ran to the row only to find they just left. We ran to the control tower to ask where they were heading. They said straight to Germany. Not even staying for the holidays. Suddenly the radio crackled.

         "This is the B-24 Glory! Were heading back! We lost engines two and three!"

       The flight monitor told them to head back. One runway was opened for them to land. Michael and I ran out to see a plane with black smoke trailing behind it about to land. The two middle engines weren't moving. On the final approach, the plane leaned violently to the side. One landing gear hit before the other one. The plane's brakes screamed as it rolled past quickly. It ran out of runway and slowly rolled into a ditch at the end. Michael and I grabbed fire extinguishers and ran to the plane. The third engine was on fire, while the second one was just not running. We did our best to put it out as the fire department approached. The hatches opened and the crew ran out.

       Michael ran in the smoky hull and dragged an unconscious person out. I ran in after he left but couldn't see a fire. I sprayed the extinguisher just in case. I ran back out to see him yelling for a medic. I dashed up to him and saw it was Maggie. I felt her heart, but no beat. I listened for her breathing but I couldn't hear anything. It could be the chaos around us make my it hard to concentrate, but she needed help. I knew hardly anything about what to do in this situation, but I knew one thing.

       "She needs CPR!" I yelled. The sirens were getting closer.

       "What? Like uh, like mouth to mouth CPR?" He said.

       "Yes! Hurry!" I replied.

       He was about to touch her mouth when he stopped.

       "Isn't this only for if they like drowned?"

       "No! Do it now!"

       He rolled his eyes and finally, not really kissed her but something along the lines of it. I tried to get her heart beating while he gave her oxygen. Suddenly she coughed. We jumped back and she slowly sat up. She looked around. First to the crew, then to the smoking bomber, then to me and Michael.

       "What happened?" She said slowly.

       "Your plane lost two engines. One was on fire and the plane filled with smoke. Luckily, Michael ran in and pulled you out. But you were unconscious. Long story short, you are alive now." I explained.

       "Is the crew okay? The plane?" She asked.

       "Both are okay. The plane will need some repairs. Do you feel okay?" Michael said.

       I looked at the plane. The repairs needed would take days. At least she wouldn't go to Germany and possibly die over the holidays. All three of us sat in the grass and looked around.

       "Do you think that Aaron, Lucas, and Joey might worry?" Michael asked.

       "No. They are coming over on a transport ship. Should be here noon of tomorrow. Wait. Tomorrow's December 24th!"

       "Really? Wow. And soon it will be 1951. Will this war ever end?" Maggie asked.

       "Hopefully. But Japan hasn't given up. They're making more Yamato class ships. But we have one of theirs. And some other prizes. The Shimikazi is a very nice destroyer." I said.

       We all sighed and looked at each other. Michael looked at her and made a goofy face. And he called himself the true love expert.