Chapter 19

I woke mid-afternoon, my muscles scolding me for sleeping so long while my brain rejoiced. I had stayed curled around the corner of the quilt cover, my back and shoulders not thanking me as I straightened out, stretching my arms with a heavy groan, only to fall back into the satin waves.

            The caressing of the sea air cooled the warmth of sleep. I noted that Derek had opened the window even further as he woke up, letting the sheer curtains twirl like smoke in the breeze before he left the room, likely for a walk.

            The grey shroud had evaporated through the sky and paved the way for blue to coat the landscape. Waves lapped calmly against the boat, carrying their harmonious melody into the room to soothe my beating heart. From a distance, water appeared dark, cold, quiet and almost dangerous. But when surrounded by it, forced to bask in its presence, it was so full of life. A mass of energy and beautiful sounds that needed to be heard if the right people took the time to appreciate it. Like everything in nature, it was about perspective and understanding.

            My grumbling stomach snatched away my thoughts. I threw off the covers and headed for a shower, cleaning up the room while I dried afterwards then dressed back in the only clothes I had, including my shoes and jacket, then headed out to find Derek.

***

Finding Derek proved to be difficult once I strolled through the dining deck. Somehow the scent garlic, herbs and tomatoes managed to tempt me into taking a different path towards a charming Italian restaurant, and the sight of a mozzarella pizza topped with crisp, fresh basil on a stone plate was enough to make me sit down and place an order.

            I spent an hour sitting outside with my plate polished clean. There were a few odd stares sent my way – mainly from a pair of middle-aged women who came to drink aperol spritz and pick at a bowl of olives while bitching about their co-workers – but the waitress was lovely, returning every five to ten minutes for a casual chat. She asked about my meal, my holiday on the cruise – all small talk. All of the answers were made up, of course, but it was refreshing to meet a kind stranger after life being so hectic for a while.

            As the restaurant became busier, I decided it was time to vacate the table, and left once the meal was paid for and the kind waitress was tipped. Now full, I wandered the deck, looking for the cheapest bar.

            To no shock of my own, he was there, aiming a red-tipped dart at a nearby board hung on the wall. He tossed it with precision, the tip piercing the green section of the triple ring.

            "Someone's finally awake," he quipped. "Think you're better at this than pool?" He held out a dart.
"I think I'm better at anything than pool."

            With only slight hesitation, I took the dart. I had never attempted darts before, figuring it was a more dangerous option after ruining pool for Scotty, but figured all that was needed was to aim for the middle.

            I pulled my arm back then let it fly. It pierced the tip of one of the beige wedges, close to the ring around the bullseye. Not quite central, but I was closer than Derek. I grinned proudly, but the joy soon wore off as Derek tutted.
"What?" I asked.
"Four points to you." He yanked the dart from the board and strutted back over.
"Four?" I echoed. "I was closer than you."
He frowned for a moment, then swung his head back in laughter. "You don't know how to play this, do you?"
He didn't have to be so patronising about it. Keeping my lips pressed into a thin, steady line, I crossed my arms. "I have far better things to do with my time than learn how to play darts."
Derek raised an eyebrow. "Like playing pool?"
I blinked. "I can still shoot better than you."
"You're just a sore loser," he teased, his pleasure at this only growing as my frown deepened.