In the dark, all cats are not necessarily grey...

The younger Vaisey, future Sheriff of Nottingham, learning his craft.

This was written a long time ago, I had a wee thing for Vaisey/Keith Allen, what can I say, I'm eccentric !

In the dark, all cats are grey, or so it was said. Nevertheless, he doubted it, in his  experience darkness was not an aid to anonymity; it merely fooled the cat into believing itself disguised.

The present situation was no different. His foe was mistakenly confident; the man believed his knowledge of the terrain gave him an advantage.

It did not.

But he was that rare thing, an imaginative soldier. He thought out conundrums,
asked himself why a person would act in a particular way. Were they motivated by fear, greed, love, hate? Were they motivated at all, or did they just act on instinct?

Fear brought hesitancy.

Greed encouraged thoughtlessness.

Love or hate led to stupidity.

No motivation at all, that was the one to look out for, it was unpredictable.

This man was driven by greed and love; he would fail and be caught.

This man wanted too much, he wanted the gold and his lover. He could not have both. If it had just the gold he may have had a chance, leading as it inevitably did, only to thoughtless actions. He still could have succeeded...possibly.

But love? Love was stupid, irrational, self-sacrificing.

A death sentence.