Chapter 4

'Oh my fucking God; she is going to be the death of me, I just know it.'

Lauren doesn't believe in love at first sight, that's just sentimental bullshit, but she does believe in lust at first sight; she always have. The first time she saw Lucy in that bikini of hers, strutting past the pool like she owned the place, Lauren's first thought was definitely 'I wouldn't mind fucking that girl.'  Luis used to joke that she was more like a guy than some of the boys they knew; she wasn't sure if it was a compliment or just pig-headed ignorance but she'd laughed along with him.

This time it's different and she doesn't know why. It's only an instant in her life but time appears to have slowed down, it's like every combat situation she has been in, it's like the ambush and the bombing; she can see every change in those brown eyes as they go from shock to surprise, to relief, to anger all in the briefest of seconds. She's absolutely captivated by her eyes, they are fucking gorgeous.

Jesus, she's supposed to be here proving that she can protect Alejandro Cabello from danger and here she is thinking about how hot his daughter is. 'Time to get your head back in the game Lauren, back to fucking work.'

She looked back at Mr. Cabello stood by his desk and it's in the nick of time as well; she spotted the South African approaching her with hate in his eyes. She has seen that kind of look before; on the streets of Basra where you'd catch a glance as you passed and the eyes would be cold and hard and you just knew trouble was around the corner. He came at her around the desk moving quickly and purposefully. She knows she's in danger here, this guy is fucking angry and she thinks the others in the room have realized that too.

"Pieter..." Mr. Cabello's voice was a warning that the bodyguard wasn't prepared to hear, he totally ignored his voice and carried on towards her. She guesses humiliating him like that hadn't made him her BFF; She thinks he was looking for an opportunity to strike back and this was his only chance.

"Pieter...!"  Mr. Cabello shouted as he approached her, "Stop this now!; leave her alone.."

Bless, he must have been worried for her, there really wasn't any need.

She threw the airsoft gun away and out of the danger area, flicking off her shoes as she did so. The room wasn't that big but she had just about enough time to do that as she analyzed her attacker's movements.

'Left-handed by the look of his approach, stiff fingers, moving on the balls of his feet, he's probably done karate, looks pretty confident as well.'

Almost absently, she watched as his attack unfolded. She'd been trained not to panic, not to worry about the hands and to study the eyes, the shoulders and the hips; she stared into those eyes as he launched at her and saw the desire to do her harm reflected back. This guy had pretty much lost control, and he wasn't really that good, certainly not as good as he thought he was; definitely not as good as she is.

The first blow came at her pretty much as she expected it to, a right-handed jab to her chest. She thinks he was expecting her to be surprised by the move, fooled by the fact that it was his right hand and not his left; he was certainly surprised when he found that his target wasn't there. He really wasn't expecting his target to catch his hand, flick him across the room and send him smashing over a chaise-longue and into the paneled wall. She watched with interest as he picked himself up, shook his head and turned to face her once again.

"I will fucking kill you bitch." He snapped at her, his accent hard. She actually believed he meant it as well.

'Bad move asshole.'