Chapter 11 - "Some times I wish your face would shut up."

Elliot stepped out of the office building into the late afternoon light. Heat clung to the air, hinting that July was creeping around the corner.

Elliot cu across the sloping lawn of the Common when she stopped. An amused smile touched her lips as she redirected her steps. With a content sigh, she sank onto the grass beside Milo. He laid stretched out, one hand behind his head, the other holding a book. For awhile they sat there in silence, Milo reading while Elliot watched the surrounding people.

"There is no silence heavier than the silence baring unspoken thoughts," Elliot said.

Milo reached out and thumped her on the head with his book.

"The moment didn't need anything poetic said," he stated.

"Fine." 

They fell back into silence. Eventually, Elliot looked at Milo.

"Do you often ignore girls when they sit next to you?" she asked.

"Only when it's you."

"I feel so honored."

"As you should."

Milo turned the page.

"Where's Cece?" he asked.

"And the truth comes out!" Elliot raised her hands, looking out at the Common. "I might share the same last name as her! I might even sound slightly like her and have the same ear lobes, but no! If I'm not Cece I warrant no attention whatsoever."

"I'm glad you've come to realize this." Milo glanced at his watch. "It only took you a year to figure it out."

"My family has often said that I am the smartest of us all."

"I pity your family."

Elliot pulled her knees up and rested her chin on them. Milo flipped to another page.

"So Cece?" he asked.

Elliot didn't look at him. 

"Haven't seen her for the last four days," she said. "I hope she's eating and sleeping, but really you never know."

"What's the bet?"

"Tristan says four chapters. I said six. But at this rate she just might finish the whole book."

"Your sister is odd."

"You say that, but you're the one in love with her."

"Don't think that that peculiarity hasn't made me reexamine my feelings on multiple occasions."

Elliot looked over at him, studying his tan skin and handsome features. Milo gave her a sideways glance, one eyebrow raised. He then looked back to his book.

"I don't like the thoughts that you are thinking. You should keep them to yourself," he said.

"How could you know what I'm thinking?"

Milo circled her face with his book.

"Easy read novel, remember?"

Elliot frowned and dropped her chin back onto her knees. A moment passed as she watched a group of girls huddled together, their low voices speaking of scandal. She turned back to Milo and he scowled.

"Why don't you ask Cece out?" Elliot asked.

He groaned and dropped his book.

"Because I've yet to procure a shield and a sword. That's the only way a male should approach your sister."