34

Talk

Talk

"Are you sure you don't want to talk about what happened last night?" Natalie asked, sighing softly.

She was worried about Shane. She could see him slowly slipping and all she could do was watch like a car in front of a train crash.

"If I say I don't want to talk about it, can we do what we did last night again?" Shane said, avoiding the question.

"I'm not talking about the sex, Shane. I'm talking about you. I'm talking about Otis. I just want to know if you're alright," Natalie said, running her hands through her hair in frustration.

"I'm not talking, so stop asking," Shane snapped.

"Fine," Natalie said, licking her lip frustratedly as she stood up from the chair next to Shane on the porch.

"You know, Shane Walsh, you really know how to make a girl doubt herself," Natalie snapped, turning back to face him as she stormed off the porch.

"What the hell's that supposed to mean, Nat?" Shane asked, trying to stand up, despite his injured ankle.

Natalie scoffed loudly.

"We had sex night, Shane. I promised myself I wouldn't do that with you after I found out about Lori. But you know what, then we lost Nicky and then I fell for you all over again and then I thought you were dead and then my clothes were off. And now, you're sitting here, telling me that you don't want to talk to me-- your wife-- about you having to witness a man's death," Natalie said, angrily.

"Fine, then. We don't have to talk. Maybe Lori will want to hear all about it," Natalie snapped.

"You said she wasn't a problem anymore," Shane said, starting to get pissed.

"She's not," Natalie snapped.

"Then stop making her one," Shane said, rubbing the back of his head in frustration.

Natalie scoffed, licking her lip angrily.

"Can you answer one question for me?" Natalie asked, trying to stay calm.

"Yeah," Shane sighed, trying to cool down.

"Are you okay?" Natalie asked, genuinely concerned.

"I'm gonna be fine. It was just a lot to go through," Shane sighed.

"That's why you need to talk about it," Natalie urged.

"No, Nat," Shane said.

"Fine. I've got to go find Rick," Natalie sighed, still pissed off.

"Why the hell do you need to go talk to Rick?" Shane asked harshly.

"I should probably go break up with him since you and I are back together now. It's not fair to keep sleeping with him now that you're no longer dead to me-- oh, wait! You and Lori didn't give me-- or Rick for that matter-- the same courtesy," Natalie said, her face completely serious.

Shane clenched his jaw angrily.

"Don't be so serious, Walsh. Being angry gives you gray hair-- oh, you don't have that anymore," Natalie teased harshly.

"Now's not the time for jokes, Natalie," Shane said angrily.

"Pissing you off is the only way I've gotten you to talk to me lately. That and making you scream my name," Natalie snapped.

"God, all I do is make sure that you're okay. And try to make you smile. And try to get you to stay calm. And try and make you love me-- for christ's sake. I need you to make an effort, Shane. I can't keep doing this to myself. It's not fair. I don't want to lose you. I lost Nicky. I can't lose you, too," Natalie said, her voice getting softer as her spiel went on.

Shane slowly limped over to where she was standing on the stairs.

"I walked all the way over here, didn't I? I call that effort," Shane snapped, standing over her.

Natalie chuckled angrily, shaking her head.

"You don't get it," Natalie sighed.

"Then help me," Shane begged.

"How do I know for sure you're not in love with Lori?" Natalie asked.

"Trust," Shane sighed.

"You say that like it's easy," Natalie scoffed.

"Let me make it easy," Shane said.

"How?" Natalie asked, still upset and pissed.

Shane limped another step forward, his lips crashing into Natalie's.

"That's how," Shane said as he pulled away.

"It can't be that easy," Natalie sighed.

"It can if you want it to be," Shane said, limping away.

"We'll just have to see about that, now won't we," Natalie snapped to herself quietly.

She was pissed at him for treating her like shit considering they had literally just started getting back together.

He was making it hard for her to be open to getting back with him.

But nonetheless, she was utterly and hopelessly in love with Shane Walsh.

• • •