Hammer and Nails

Chyna had been hidding out in the stables, it was the one place she rarely spent much time

Chyna had been hidding out in the stables, it was the one place she rarely spent much time. Thus, the perfect place to hide.

She brushed the next of the horse who's stall she was hidding in. Chyna had to admit she felt really silly, but that terrible feeling never left her and today it was just growing larger. A great big feeling of dread that she had never felt before. Its existance was a mystery to her and that made it worse.

The horse whinnied and pawed its hoof at the hay in it's stall. Chyna quietly crouched down in the horses shadow, hearing someone enter.

There footfalls rolled slowly across the ground. Stopping every so many steps as if observing. Chyna bit her lip and shut her eyes. "Please go away" she thought.

"What're you doin' down there?" Cap's voice called out. "Damn" Chyna thought. Opening one eye she peered up at Cap who looked down at her eyebrows raised. Chyna sighed and sstood up resting her hand on the horse for comfort, her eyes strayed away from Cap's.

"You know...Red Barrel here...she aint very friendly...it's not wise to be in there" Cap warned eying the Mare carefully. Chyna stroked Red Barrel's neck. "She ain't mind me...I've been in here almost an hour and she's hardly even blinked at me" Chyna said. Cap shook his head "so-" he paused. He would have teased her but the fearful glint in the back of Chyna's eyes stopped him.

"Why're hidding in here?" He asked leading against the stall.

Chyna remained quiet for a moment, listening to the sounds of the early morning.

"Why are you looking for me?" She countered. Cap sighed and shooved his hands in his pockets. "I just wanted someone to talk to I guess...I hate these Election day fairs" Cap muttered.

"They aint nothin but folks sucking up to my Pa, Pa suckin up to politicians...rowdy rude McCoys and girls fussin over Johnse" Cap said with little intrest in his voice.

"Then why go?" Chyna asked.

A wide smile came to Cap's face, "because, I got somethin I wanna show off...I've been practicin real hard with Uncle Jim...ain't nothin special about me really but, I'm good at this and I never expected that" Cap said his smile was playful but his tone was very serious.