083 | bismuth

× Mercury

I was sore in places I didn't even know I had muscles. There was still two hours left of my shift and I was about ready to pass out on one of the tables. I was straining myself to my limit, with practice all week, working at The Courtyard Bar, and everyday school work.

Also what happened in the locker room four hours ago was another reason I was so tired. I could still feel the burns from the marks Niall had left on my neck, only hidden by an ugly turtleneck I had found in my gym bag. Not to mention how it was nearly impossible to walk let alone manage to carry drinks and trays to customers.

What happened a few hours ago was a little embarrassing on my part. I had caved way too soon. My plan was to make him sweat; to wait until he couldn't possibly stand it anymore. But I was the one to break instead.

I needed to feel him. After a week of detachment and broken conversations, we came back together in the only way either of us knew how to repair the bond we had. We connected when we talked, but touching either other, lusty or not, was where the real power was. Later we would spend time discussing what had happened and how to make it whole again. But for now, this was how we would operate.

I was in the middle of wiping down one of the booth tables when a hand landed on my shoulder, taking me out of my thoughts.

"Your energy is something to admire," Jace said as he came up from behind me. "After practice I took a nap. There's no way I'd be able to juggle everything you do and stay awake."

"I blame my mother for my vitality," I told him as I walked back behind the bar counter. Jace followed after me and took a seat on one of the stools. "She was always doing something."

Jace ordered a drink and I quickly mixed it up for him as we chatted.

Making it to the Women's World Cup had always been the ultimate achievement for me, but I wasn't so sure anymore. I thought being away from the sport during the holidays would make me crave it again, but now that I was back, that wasn't the case.

Women's FIFA had been a tradition in the Mercury household for as long as I could remember, my parents throwing parties for the event, having friends over on the couch as they stuffed their faces with party foods and cheered whenever the US scored a goal. That tradition had died along with my parents, but I never thought I would ever lose interest in the sport.

I owed it to Liam's little cousin for opening my eyes to that fact.

"It's insane," Jace expressed excitedly. "I mean, we're going to be in Sports magazine!"

College soccer had never been as popular as professional soccer, and that was true all around the world. But ever since I joining the men's league, it was the only thing people could talk about. And it wasn't just here in London, but even in parts of the United Kingdom where we don't even travel to. And it didn't stop there. Just a few days ago, Emily called me saying that she saw me on NBC for a small segment, talking about my history and where I was at now.

"Easy for you to say," I said a little bitterly. "You won't be on the cover."

"Oh, relax, you looked great in the photos."

"Yeah, but at what cost?" I asked seriously. "They think I'm some kind of diva or something for going against what they wanted me to do. I'm terrified what they'll say about me in the article because of it."