Chapter Sixty Two

Elena watched as Alkema and his second schemed.

"Despicable man."

Liran couldn't agree more. While the two sides of his heritage warred within him, he never viewed one with more respect than the other. The Hilliri and the Trillas had their different, sometimes opposite qualities. It made life among both peoples more interesting, and rich with possibilities and beauty. Alkema was blind to everything the Trillas had to offer. Since Kalad was populated only with Hilliri, he would hardly have had any contact with the Trillas before now.

"He hates what he doesn't know, Elena. Most people do."

Elena punched a fist into her palm.

"Still, I wish I could reach him and beat the bigotry out of him."

It wasn't like Elena to be impatient or violent, but he had to agree. He would gladly pummel the smugness from Alkema if he only could.

"He readily admits to admiring your leadership, though...quite a compliment coming from him."

Elena huffed.

"It doesn't absolve him from what he's doing."

Liran agreed.

"No, it doesn't."

Elena's eyes opened wide and she brought both hands up to her mouth. She snapped around to face him.

"I just realized what's going to happen. He's holding back our army, and leading them directly into the path of the Emperor's loyal legion forces. The Castillonians will think they have met the enemy since they are wearing Legion uniforms and they'll attack. The legion will have no choice but to defend themselves. On that terrain, it will be a bloody battle with many lives lost."

Liran imagined the battlefield littered with bodies of his troops and allies. He gripped his fists and swung at Alkema, despite knowing that it was useless. In his ghostly state, he had no effect; his hands passed through Alkema's body. The fog around him rippled with disturbed air currents. It felt surprisingly satisfying in spite of it all.

Lord Argentia, though, looked up suddenly, focusing just beyond Alkema, right to where they stood. Elena gripped Liran's arm, holding him back from striking again.

"It's useless, Liran, don't waste your energy on him."

Argentia's eyes narrowed and he took a step forward. Elena watched him.

"Can he see us?"

Before Liran could reply, Argentia winked out. Seconds later he reappeared right in front of them in ghostly form. He stretched out to three times his height in a second. Liran could feel Korr's power wash over him as the fog all around crackled with electricity and the world reverberated with a low bass note. He ached to put his hands over his ears to dampen it. It would have been as useless a gesture as the punch. He looked up at the man, towering over him.

Korr's face broke into a nasty grin.

"Well, well, what have we here?"

His voice was deep and the ghost world around them trembled with its timbre.

"I wanted you alive, fools, to bargain with Maylani, but if you insist on spiriting about outside your bodies, you'll die before this day is done."

Liran shivered, but took a moment to force his fear back down. Korr was a Guardian, a monumental enemy, but then, Elena was a Guardian too. Korr's size was only a ploy to frighten them.

Elena turned her face upward to look at Korr.

"You expect us to give up so easily."

Liran felt the air around him compress, as if a thunderstorm were gathering strength. Korr merely waved his hand and they both went flying backward.

Disoriented, Liran tumbled head over heels. There was nothing solid to fall on, but by willing himself back in front of Korr, he halted his falling. Elena was already there when he returned, building herself a shield like she had made before, and a fireball as well. Korr had to be stopped.

Liran admired her focus. She had learned a lot from Ergin.

Watching Elena from a short distance, he noticed the transparency of Korr's body revealed another being compressed into a tight ball inside his chest. This was certainly Namilda, Liran's teacher in the healing arts, who Korr was syphoning power from. She struggled and pressed against her prison in vain. Occasionally, Liran noted, Korr would look down where she lay inside as if distracted by her efforts.

Elena shifted her shield for a moment so she could launch her ball of fire at Korr, then moved it back into place as the fire leaped from her hand. Liran crept over to her side, wondering how he could help. Elena flashed him a brief smile then turned back to her opponent. The fireball broke against Korr's chest and skittered away in sparks which instantly extinguished.

A loud thunderclap sounded as Korr launched his own fireball, as big and hot as a sun and five times the size of the one Elena had made. It broke apart against her shield, and the impact sent her and Liran rolling backward again. The shield disintegrated with Elena's faltering concentration.

They transported themselves back once more to face their opponent. The figure inside Korr's chest struggled a little more. Liran wondered how much concentration it took for Korr to keep Namilda restrained. He wondered if they could distract Korr so that Namilda might break free, which might even things out.

Fireballs went back and forth for a while, getting larger and faster, but each time having no effect. Elena, however, was looking tired. Liran noted her brightness fading.

Elena held out her arm and a longsword made of fire appeared in her hand. She ran forward brandishing her weapon, flames licking the shining edges, leaving a trail of fire behind her.

Korr made a shield of maru to protect himself and parried her stroke with ease against it. He laughed as he knocked her down and away.

"You just don't have enough maru to defeat me, daughter of Maylani, and frankly, I'm getting a little bored." He straightened up to his full height, towering over them both.

Elena appeared at Liran's side and spoke softly to him.

"He's right. We need more firepower to defeat him."

Liran tried to think of what he might do to help. He could take maru from Elena and battle Korr himself, but it might kill her before Korr was defeated, and the effect on himself wasn't good either. Although he had more knowledge of maru battle than Elena, he could already see it wasn't going to be enough.

Looking at Korr, he noticed Namilda again, pushing outward against her confines. It gave Liran an idea. It was a terrible idea, a shocking thought. He really didn't want to do it, but they were getting desperate.

____________________________________________

I hope you enjoyed this instalment of Unsheathed. If you did, please consider voting so that it has a chance to receive some more attention by rising up the ranks in the Fantasy category. I also enjoy comments, so please feel free to let me know what you thought.

Cheers!

Rebecca