Chapter Sixty Three

Outclassed from the start, it was apparent now that Liran had no choice.

"There is something we can do, Elena."

Elena turned to listen.

"If you trust me enough to do this, it might make things more equal." He grabbed her hand and thought of the empty road they had travelled to get to the Legion camp, and in an instant, they were there.

Elena looked around, surprised. Liran clasped her by the shoulders.

"We don't have time to talk. He's likely to find us at any moment. Elena...do you trust me?"

She shook her head, struggling to comprehend his purpose.

"Yes, of course."

"If we do what Korr did with Namilda, combine maru-tahls, we might have enough combined power to tax him so that Namilda has a chance to break free. I asked if you could trust me because..."

She wrinkled her nose. The idea was abhorrent.

"You're worried I'll think you could trap me the way Korr has trapped Namilda."

Relieved that she understood, Liran allowed himself to relax just a little.

"So how do we do it?"

How to explain something so ephemeral? Liran realized he had to talk in concrete terms.

"Just think of your spirit opening up, the edges becoming indistinct and I will do the rest...if you're sure you want to try this."

Her expression stone serious, she nodded affirmative. He paused for a moment, then feeling the time was too short, he added, "Ergin showed you how to make mental barriers for mind-speech. Do this now as well."

She closed her eyes, and Liran watched as she did just as he asked. She did trust him, and he was happy that at least she was willing to try this crazy plan. He wouldn't have done it if he didn't have complete trust in her as well.

Her form became a nebulous shape, growing less and less defined. Liran knew it was a gamble. Worse, he knew it might expose their every thought to one another, laying open all of his thoughts and memories, and he might not be able to shield her from the most private ones, nor was he certain he would be able to shield himself from knowing more than he ever wanted to know about her either. A sign of the desperation of their situation, he realized they were both making a sacrifice. Then he made himself nebulous too and stepped into her.

At first, he felt distinct, still separate from her, his thoughts mingling in with her own a little. She gasped, and he sensed she was struggling to keep calm. They were compressed together, two spirits merged in one. It was enough to make one scream.

Liran, this is very strange. Are you sure this will help?

Elena's thoughts felt almost like his own inside his head. He felt raw, as if his skin had been stripped off and he walked about more than naked, as if stripped of his skin.

The strain of merging pressed against his barriers. He tried to shore up the shielding in his mind. He had tuck away the things he wanted to keep away from her the most. He couldn't afford to reveal his feelings for her, other secret desires, guilt, shame, and regret. Thoughts, emotions, everything contained in their minds swirled about. He caught glimpses of memories; some were his, some were from her point of view.

I'm sorry to expose you to this. It was a last resort. He could feel the walls he had constructed going soft. No, he thought. His control was slipping. He couldn't keep himself separate from her, not the way he had hoped, with those private thoughts tucked away. Everything was bleeding together.