Chapter Ninety-Five "Leaving Somerset"

I was ready to leave immediately. The longer I waited, the more likely I was to change my mind. I made this decision to keep me from getting hurt further . . . to protect myself . . . my heart. Freddie insisted that I at least wait until morning to set out. It would only be fair to Uncle Arthur, to give him and Aunt Catherine a chance to prepare for my arrival. I, however, did not want to linger with farewells, teary or otherwise. We compromised. While he drafted the letter for Uncle Arthur and got a courier ready to leave, I would write a few notes for anyone I wished to say something expressly, like Leah and Faith, and then pack my trunk. Freddie would get a carriage and take me into town for the night himself. He could arrange for my travels in the morning and then return home once he knew I was on my way.

Freddie took everything in stride considering the time restraint. Maybe he was just happy that I came to my senses. I'm sure that's how he would explain it. All that I know is that he would not have to worry about me much longer. I would have the stable life he wanted for me all along. I'm sure that happiness would eventually follow.

I packed my trunk first, making sure to take Percival's letters and the journal that Owen gave me along with my other necessities. I would have to deal with the violets later; maybe I could ask Freddie to dispose of them for me. Even in the midst of my departure, not only from my home but from who I had been until now, I was tempted to leaf through the pages. I stopped myself and stacked the books on my tea table. That way they wouldn't be hard for Freddie to find. I sat at my desk preparing to write my farewells.

I stared at the parchment I started for Leah. I could not put any words together that would not crush her. I had to say that I am giving up on Isaac. That I am leaving without saying goodbye. That I am abandoning her, when I was the closest thing she had to family right now. Just the thoughts were enough to bring me to tears. I set her letter aside and decided to write Faith's. She would be happy, I'm sure. I hoped she would be. If not, given some time and . . . Patience! Yes, Patience would make sure she'd be happy for me. That made it easier to write. I kept it short, telling her of my decision and that I hoped to see her again soon. I smiled a bit to myself because soon we really would be sisters. My happy thoughts flickered when I thought of Philip, how would he take the news being a friend of Isaac's? I shook myself, I cannot worry about everyone. I have to make the best decisions for myself.

I found the courage to write to Leah, telling her that Freddie would look after her just as he did me until her father returned. I wrote that I hope we will still be friends and looked forward to seeing her again soon. Before I signed it, I apologized for leaving this way. After sealing the note, I wrote one more, to Owen. I simply asked him to look after Leah for me. I had no doubt that he would, even without me asking. But I needed to ask, for myself.

By the time I washed up and was dressed, Freddie was waiting in the foyer, my trunk already on the carriage. "I told Patience," he said taking my hand, "so she wouldn't worry when I wasn't here." I nodded, stopping before we reached the door. "Are you certain this is the only way?" he asked when I looked back over the house.

"It has to be this way," I sighed looking down the hallway towards the library and the dining room. "Oh! I almost forgot," I said shuffling towards the kitchen. It was still too early for Charlotte to be starting breakfast for the servants, so all was quiet when I went to scoop up Jasper, "I couldn't leave without you, could I?"

"Are you sure about him?" Freddie gestured to the puppy, "Wasn't he from . . ." his voice trailed off, not wanting to say mention the name.

"I'm not leaving Jasper," I said holding him closer against my chest, "no matter what, he's mine." I nuzzled the top of his head and then rejoined Freddie, ready to depart into the night.

I never paid much attention to what Freddie did while he was in town, but he had made some wonderful contacts in his business dealings. For the odd time of night, there were no refusals, no dismissals and no questions. We were shown to a quaint room where Freddie tried to get me to lie down and sleep while he tended to my travel arrangements. I agreed to resting, if I could, and that was enough for him. "Don't worry, Magpie," he kissed my forehead, "Mrs. Rutley is just down the hall, if you need anything." He turned to the matronly woman standing in the doorway and she nodded with a kind smile, "I'll be back shortly."

Resting must have turned into sleep, for when I awoke, the sun was beginning to lighten the skies. Freddie was slumped in the chair that was in the corner, his cheek pressed into his hand. He looked exhausted and uncomfortable, but as he heard the bed creak as I sat up, he did his best to hide it all. "I'm glad you got some rest," he stretched.

"I wish you did," I offered a smile. "I'm sorry, Freddie."

"Don't be," he stood and reached a hand out to me, "the only thing I've ever wanted was your happiness." As I stood before him, he put his hands on my shoulders, "If there's anything I can do, to make you happy, I will. You know that, right?" His eyes were searching mine and there were still signs of worry in them.

"Of course, I know," I smiled as I leaned into him.

Freddie wrapped an arm around my shoulders, "Come along now, we'll get you underway." I followed him closely, watching as most everyone we passed gave him a courteous nod. One day I'll have to ask him about that, but for now, I was eager to put everything behind me. "We were lucky, Margaret," he said walking towards a coach waiting outside the inn, "not only is there room, but Mr. and Mrs. Thorne are travelling towards Kensington. I've known them a good few years and they've agreed to accompany you." I smiled and nodded as the older couple waved to me.

I turned to my brother, "Freddie . . ." I started. This was all too perfect.

"No arguments," he tapped my nose like he used to do when I was a child, "if this is what you want, then you will do it as I want." I nodded in understanding. "They will ride with you to Kensington. Either Uncle Arthur will meet you in town, or they will take you directly to him."

The coachmen were getting my trunk as I climbed inside, "Thank you, Freddie." I said reaching out for his hand.

He kissed my hand as they prepared to leave, "I only want you to be happy," he said again. As the coach began to move, I took a long look at my brother. He too looked changed.