Chapter 27

The flight to London was uneventful. Rory spent most of it working on the book she was writing since it had been getting little attention. Logan worked on his tablet, taking care of things that he, too, had been neglecting.

Prior to leaving, Logan called Odette to ask her to hold off on letting her family know about the engagement until he and Rory were in London. She agreed, understanding that it was important their families heard the news from each of them rather than through the grapevine.

Planning ahead, Logan had lined up a driver for their brief stay overseas. Once the plane landed and they grabbed their luggage, Logan pulled his phone out and dialed his father, asking if he could meet Mitchum and Shira for dinner. He made no mention of Rory because he didn't want to tip his hand until they were in a public place where fits could not be thrown. Per their agreement, Logan followed the call with another to Odette, letting her know of the dinner plans.

Because they had a few hours until they had to be at the restaurant, Logan and Rory did a little sightseeing. Even though he had lived there for a few years, Logan realized he never took time to do more than work. It was nice to see Buckingham Palace and the Tower of London again, especially with Rory nestled into his side. He marveled again at how much he missed being with her.

Time quickly passed and, before they knew it, it was time to head for dinner. They planned to meet at 7:00pm but Logan and Rory wanted to be seated in advance of Mitchum and Shira's arrival.

As the clock inched closer and closer to 7:00pm, Rory's stomach was a jumble of nerves. She couldn't believe that any moment, Logan's parents would be learning that she was pregnant with their grandchild. Given how her father's parents felt about and treated her, she feared her own child would deal with the same helpless feelings of rejection. Spying the formidable Huntzbergers heading her way, she plastered on what she hoped was a warm smile and hoped against hope that this evening wouldn't turn into a disaster.

*****

Lorelai felt as if she was walking on air. She was excited at the thought of having a baby with Luke. After talking with him the other night about what they may encounter, she began looking at fertility clinics. There were a few in neighboring cities but she felt drawn to one in Hartford. It was run by a husband and wife pair who had encountered fertility issues themselves. She wasn't sure why, but Lorelai felt that knowing the doctor could relate to what they were going through might make it easier.

First thing this morning, Lorelai called the clinic to schedule a consultation. She was surprised to find that they worked hard to get new patients in within a week so she was able to get an appointment two days later.

Lorelai needed to head to the Dragonfly to meet with Tom about the spa annex. They planned to discuss projected timelines for various projects. Michel, of course, would be present. He had no idea that she planned to let him know that she would be stepping out of the renovation. She knew Michel was capable of overseeing the work. She did, however, plan to let him know of the budgets he needed to stick to with regards to finishes throughout the spa.

On her way to the inn, Lorelai swung by Luke's for a cup of coffee and to let him know about their appointment. She entered the diner, her eyes searching for her husband as he emerged from the back with two plates of food. He spotted her, causing a smile to stretch across his face. He delivered the order and moved to greet Lorelai.

"Let me guess, coffee to go?"

"Oh, you know me so well," Lorelai batted her eyes at Luke.

Luke laughed. "You aren't exactly mysterious. You'd pump it in with an IV if you were able."

Lorelai touched a finger to her chin. "An IV coffee pump. Hmmm. That's a million dollar idea." Luke handed her a cup of coffee as she told him about their appointment at the fertility clinic.

His eyes sparkling, Luke nodded. "Can't get here quick enough."

Those simple words made Lorelai's heart soar even higher than it had been.