Chapter 21 - Strike

Chapter 21 - Strike

"When did you develop such a talent for speed-walking?"

I glanced back at Gabriel.

"When did you get so slow? Come on, use those giraffe legs."

Gabriel pulled a face, doubling over to catch his breath at the entrance of the police station. With Officer Peri at my side, I pushed on, nodding at the receptionist and rushing through the foyer.

I shouldn't have been moving so fast. With a yelp, I barely managed to avoid mowing over a group of tourists arguing at the doorway.

It was chaos.

"What is happening in here?" Gabriel wheezed, finally stumbling to my side.

"It wasn't even this bad after our water tanks exploded," I added.

Officer Peri threw a hand signal at the two other officers who followed behind us. They immediately split up and started sorting out groups that were on the edge of a fistfight.

"Most of these tourists," Officer Peri sighed, "are here because apparently local legislation says the police are responsible for sorting out their alternate means of stay when the Mayor announces a mass removal from the island." Officer Peri huffed, placing her hands on her hips. "Tell your father I send my regards, Gabriel."

Gabriel grimaced.

I pushed onto my tip-toes, trying to lift my line of sight above the screaming tourists and look for uniformed officers amidst the pandemonium. I didn't find Dad, but I did make eye contact with Officer Louws.

I blanched, calculating my nearest routes of escape. It was too late. He was marching towards us.

"Here we go," I muttered.

At my remark, Officer Peri turned around, spotting the deputy police chief and the warpath he was clearing.

"Er, meanwhile I'm going to see if your father needs any help," she said to me. "Scream if you get killed."

Gabriel frowned in concern. "Somehow, I don't think that would work too well."

Officer Peri had already slipped through the crowd.

"Well, hello."

I slowly, slowly looked up at the voice, forcing myself to take on the most bored expression I could muster.

Officer Louws crossed his arms. "Handing yourselves in?"

I grabbed onto Gabriel's sleeve and marched us past him without bothering to reply.

"Don't think I didn't notice your absences this morning!" Officer Louws called after us. "I'm watching the two of you!"

I wouldn't react. He was only trying to find the easy way out. I couldn't even blame him for that.

"You reckon he knows his own son let you out yet?" Gabriel whispered.

I shook my head. "He wouldn't be this calm if he did."

"Calm?" Gabriel repeated dubiously.

I scoffed. "Relatively calm."

Gabriel nodded his approval at my correction. "Now where are we going?"

I stopped in the middle of the station, trying to gather my bearings. Jolene waved at me from her desk, but she looked so busy I doubted she could help us with anything.

"We need to find my dad—"

The door to the boardroom burst open, its sound as loud as a gunshot. I flinched, automatically ducking, but I realised quickly that there was no danger.