Chapter 22

That night I'm terrified. The second it's dark I'm looking around left to right, my head whipping around so much I'm getting lightheaded. There's no way I was going to be able to sleep like this so I call Abigail "hellooooo" Abigail's voice sings "Hey Abi, can I come over?" I ask "do you even have to ask?" He voice says skeptically. I smile to myself "I'll be over in ten" I say before hanging up and grabbing my purse and jacket "I'm going to Abi's" I yell to my mom "have fun" she says and then I'm out the door and into my car.

On the drive there I keep expecting to see the red masked guy-or Slyder I guess-pop out at me on the road, or suddenly appear in my passenger seat of the car, but he never does.

I quickly run up the stairs of her porch and go inside without knocking "honey, I'm home!" I yell out and down comes Abigail racing down the stairs squealing, she runs straight into me and gives me a bear hug "what's up with you?" I laugh hugging her back "it feels like forever since I've seen you" Abigail says looking at me with pouty eyes "it's been two days" I reply dryly "and that's more than long enough" Abigail yells as she pulls me by the arm upstairs.

"Where were you yesterday?" She asks once we're in her room. "W-what do you mean?" I ask. She crosses her arms and gives me the "don't you dare lie" look and I actually feel myself gulp "I was uh home" I lie "seriously Beth? You still think you can lie to me? I know you weren't home. I called your house to ask you to come over when your mom answered, I just about asked her for you if it weren't for the fact that she had talked first, saying something about you being over to my house. I totally covered for you and told her that we were having a blast, I said that I called to see if you had left your pillow there or some stupid thing like that and she so bought it" Abigail says flipping her hair "you're welcome" I laugh "that's a pretty lame lie you know. And thank you." Abigail nods and waits for me to explain so I do. I can't find any real reason not to tell her, I mean she's my best friend, I've never not told her something. She's like my safe but for secrets.

So I spill everything. And by the end she's looking at me with crazed eyes and sky high eyebrows "wait what?!" She yells "how?" She asks looking bewildered "I wish I knew" I tell her "none of it makes since" she nods in agreement "yeah you can say that again"

She's not lying is she? Never mind I already know she isn't, she's not biting her lip. Well man that's insane! I feel like I'm in that weird paranormal book Bethany made me read. What was it called again? Shh shh? Abigail thinks. Hush hush I say inside my head. I bite my lip when I'm lying? Noted.

We talk for a while longer on it but soon the conversation and all possible explanations have come to a dead end so we start painting each other's nails and toe nails as we watch Uptown Girls.

We quote the lines, sing the songs, and laugh at the best parts, this is our cliche girl sleepover movie, we watch it almost every time I come to her house so we practically know it inside out.

"Where's Ally?" I ask "she's gone at a friend's house" Abigail explains "she better have left before she knew I was coming" I say playfully "no, she said she couldn't wait to just have a day at home but then I told her you were coming over and she was out the door in seconds" Abigail says I shove her and we both laugh.

By the end I have teal painted nails with my ring finger on both sides painted black (I really never understood the point of this style, but Abigail loves it so whatever) and my toenails painted the same except my big toe is painted teal while the little ones are painted black. I painted Abigail's nails all neon pink with the ring finger on both hands painted white, same as her toenails except her big toe painted pink all the little ones painted white.

My stomach growls so we run downstairs to her kitchen and slip a frozen pizza into the oven. After cutting the pizza in half and both of us eating a half each, we put our hair into ponytails and wipe face masks on, then we put some of her feet bath salt stuff into a bucket of warm water and put our feet in, setting cucumbers over our eyes. With quiet, peaceful music playing in the background, we rest our heads against our seats and sit in silence, well for a moment, but I really can't stand silence so I speak.

"You know this sleepover was totally cliche?" I ask "not yet, we haven't even done the whole in our pajamas pillow fight" Abigail points out making me laugh "that's about as cliche as it gets" I say "who cares if it was cliche? It was fun" I nod in agreement "yeah it was. Thanks Abi" i say quietly "for what?" "For...I don't know, being you, nobody else would ever believe a word I had said about everything that's been going on, and yet you hardly doubt it. And I haven't even thought about red masked guy all night because of you" I admit. "Of course bestie Bethy, you're my bae" Abigail says and I can just hear the smile in her voice.

I moan loudly at the word. Bae, gosh I hate that word, it's totally overrated and it means poop in Danish "awe thanks, I've always wanted to be poop" I say sarcastically "oh my gosh, do you have to be so annoying about it meaning poop? That's in danish, in English it means Before Anyone Else" Abigail whines "no, in English it means the same thing as it does in Danish. Just like is you said Hola, in Spanish it means hello, and when we English speakers say it, it still means hello because it's-" Abigail interrupts and finishes the sentence for me "still a Spanish word, I know I know. I seriously have to remember to stop saying that word in front of you, I'm so sick of this same conversation" she groans "well I hope you've learned your lesson" I say with a smirk.

Just then I hear a loud bang, and jump up, yanking the cucumber off of my eyes.

Slam

I jerk my head to where the sound had come from, the front door. Abigail must not have noticed because she's humming quietly to herself, her cucumbers still covering her eyes. I slowly grab a knife from the kitchen and creep towards the door. I look at down the knob to see it rattling slightly. My heart is pounding hard against my chest, I can feel the adrenaline rushing through my body. Slowly the door opens, I don't even think, I grab the door and swing it open, arching my knife back, I'm about to swing the knife at the person at the door but freeze when I see Abigail's mom staring wide eyed at my knife. "Mrs Fratley" I say staring wide eyed back at her as I slowly lower my knife, my cheeks flaring with embarrassment.

Christine shakes her head and puts a hand over her heart "Bethany Marie Hibbler! What on earth do you think you're doing holding a knife to me?!" Christine asks sharply. "You what?!" Abigail shrieks yanking the cucumbers off of her eyes. As soon as she sees the knife I'm holding behind my back and the look on Christine and I's faces she busts out laughing, ignoring her I turn to Christine "Christine, I'm really, really sorry, I thought you were an intruder" I say awkwardly. Christine watches me for a moment before she-just like her daughter-busts out laughing, holding her side. Watching them is kind of freaky, their smiles are similar, Their laughs are almost identical, both breathing wheezes of air at the same time, high then lower at the same time, they even held their sides the same way. Really weird. It's not long before I'm joining in the laughing, and soon we're all on the floor laughing so hard tears are streaming down our cheeks.

Abigail's dad walks in and gives us all strange look "what on earth happened?" He asks. Christine tries to explain but she's laughing too hard. With one final strange look our way, James walks past us and up the stairs to his room. After a while we all calm down and Christine straightens herself up, "you both have green stuff running down your faces now" she says pointing at our messed up face masks "well you have mascara running down your face Mrs Raccoon" I point out, she squints her eyes at me giving me a playful evil eye "touché" she says before walking up the stairs "don't stay up too late" she yells down. She always says that but she doesn't actually care.

Abigail and I go and clean our faces off and head to bed but we don't go to sleep, we watch movie after movie, staying up until 4:00am, but I don't mind, this was the best day I have had in weeks.

➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖

Howdy y'all! Don't y'all think this book ain't bad? Y'all should go on and read down yander I reckon.

Just kidding, sorry I'm weird, and bored, never a good mixture. This isn't a very long chapter, and it doesn't really have to do with anything, it's basically just a filler, sorry for waisting your time. But because it's only a filler, I won't wait a week to post it so here you go! Happy birthday and merry Christmas! Enjoy!

Please comment, read, vote, and promote!!!