Twenty

Everything in that moment stood still. 

"Which hospital?" His voice had been extremely low, barely above a whisper. 

"Royal General, she's in the ER." 

"I'm leaving now." He quickly ended the call while searching for his coat. Everything was blurry. Ava was nervous. She didn't know who was on the other line, but it was clear that whoever it was did not have the best news.

"Harry, what's wrong." Harry passed by her quickly grabbing his keys. He was running his hands through his hair pulling roughly. "Harry," she tried again. This time carefully grabbing his arm. "Whatever it is, talk to me." 

He looked at her. His eyes were dark but glazed over. It was evident that he was holding back tears. "Please." She kept her voice gentle, a complete contrast to his actions. 

Harry took a deep breath, closing his eyes, and slumping his shoulders. "Rose. She's was in an accident." His voice cracked. Without giving it a second thought, Ava grabbed his keys from his hands. "I'll drive. Just, tell me where to go." She placed her hand on his cheek, "Whatever happens, I'm going to be there for you." He kept his eyes closed but a tear escaped. She wiped it away with her finger and give him a soft kiss on the cheek.

"Let's go." 

The drive to the hospital was quiet. Neither Harry or Ava spoke a single word, each being lost in their own thoughts. Ava pulled in to the first parking space she could find. They walked quickly and made their way over to the emergency desk where they were met with an older receptionist. 

"I'm looking for Rose Styles."

The receptionist looked up through her cat-eye glasses. "Are you family?" 

"Don't I look like family? I'm her fucking cousin." He ran his hand through his hair completely anxious. 

"Sir, I'm going to ask you to please calm down." 

"Can you just tell me where she is, damn it!" 

"Hi, erm, Lisa? Hi Lisa. Rose was in an accident and we would really like to see her." Ava kept calm, hoping to diffuse the situation before it got out of hand. Lisa looked at Ava who had a warm smile on her face. 

"Sure thing, dear. She is on the B-Ward room 14B." 

"Thank you." She sent her another smile before grabbing Harry by the arm and dragged him to the elevator. 

"You didn't have to say anything. I had it in control." His tone was rough. 

"Clearly."

He grunted in response and pressed the elevator to go up. 

The hallways smelt like santizer and small shouts could be heard from neighbouring patients. They made their way to Rose's room. The door was shut and a tall, blonde haired man was inside. 

Harry didn't bother to knock. He barged in through the closed door and shoved past so he could see his cousin. 

"She is on heavy meds right now. They need to prep her for surgery." 

Harry looked up. "Who are you." 

"Marcus, her boyfriend." 

Harry nodded and looked at Rose. She looked peaceful as she layed. Her face had a few scratches. The only sounds that could be heard in the small room was the beeping from her heart monitor. 

"What the hell happend to her?" 

"We went for a bike ride down by the pier. She was crossing the road and this car came out of nowhere, speeding, and hit her."