51

dan's phone is buzzing loudly on the nightstand, not disturbing dan per say, but definitely causing chris to turn uncomfortably in his sleep, blindly patting the nightstand to find the source of disruption.

"hello?" his voice is heavy and laced with sleep, and he's sure that his words are barely comprehensible as he twists a few tufts of dan's hair between his fingers.

"hey, i'm sorry to wake you up darling but i just can't find adrian's school sweater, do you have-" phil's voice is rushed as he quickly fries some eggs, his phone balanced between his cheek and shoulder, but before he an finish talking, a sleepy voice is interrupting him.

"hey man, sorry dan is sleeping right now, do you want me to wake him up?"

"chris?" phil can physically feel all the blood drain from his face, his fingers losing the grip he had around the handle of the pan, and he struggles to get out the words. "no, um, i-i'll manage don't disturb him," phil chokes out, dropping the pan on the kitchen counter and leaning helplessly against it, unsure of what to think of the situation. why did dan not tell him?

"alright, i'll tell him you called," chris is almost half asleep by the time phil replies.

"no! um, don't, it's fine, i'll call him later myself," chris just mumbles a small "okay," in response and waits for phil to hang the phone, before dropping the device back on the nightstand, and wrapping his arms tighter around dan.

+

dan is uncomfortably hot when he wakes up the next morning, a heavy weight pressing his body further into the warm mattress and the duvet almost falling off the bed. the heat in the room is too high, and dan is too lazy to get up and set the temperature so he takes his time in getting up, rubbing his eyes and letting out a short yawn.

chris' head is resting on his chest, his lips parted slightly and soft snores escaping his lips. his caramel hair is falling messily all over his forehead, and his arm his wound tightly around dan's waist.

"chris?" dan blushes slightly at the close proximity but he isn't uncomfortable. he knows for a fact that if phil knew about this he would probably take in any way other than platonic, and so dan ruffles chris' hair to wake him up, causing the other boy to whine and leave his embrace, curling into the opposite direction.

"five minutes," he slurs in his sleep and dan rolls his eyes, running a hand through his hair and sitting up in bed, his back resting against the headboard as he yawns once again, rubbing the sleep off his eyes.

he's glad that chris' put him to sleep last night, because if he hadn't, dan was sure he would wake up with an enormous headache along with all the anxiety that was piled up inside him since the past few days. sleeping it off calmed him down a little bit, and although he was still skeptical about the presentation, he didn't think that the world was going to end.

an hour later dan was showered and dressed, sitting across from chris and digging relentlessly in his waffles, making sure not to spill any syrup on his crisp white shirt. chris had only woken up after their breakfast arrived, and so he was in his crumpled t-shirt from last night and a small stubble on his chin, all his hair pushed messily off his forehead.

"how are you feeling?" chris' broke the comfortable silence, resting his fork on the now empty plate and grabbing the mug of coffee, holding it between his palms to warm them up.

"a lot better actually," dan said with a mouthful, swallowing the bite and continuing to speak. "thanks for forcing me to sleep last night, i would probably be a mess if you hadn't," dan thanked him and chris just smiled at him lopsidedly, waving his hand dismissively as if to say it was okay.

it's eight thirty by the time dan is ready to leave, deciding to call phil before he does so. they haven't been communicating that well since dan got here and that makes him feel a little bit guilty. the meeting is still an hour away, and the conference hall is a good seven minute walk, so dan quickly grabs his laptop and a bunch of files, bidding chris a goodbye before dialling phil's number and pressing the device to his ear.

--
tell me About ur day