CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE and CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

The last part of chapter 24 is here and then two more chapters! We're almost at the end. Thanks to all of you who have kept reading and asking for more!!

***

“I know,” James said in a dull voice. He stood up from his chair, shaking his head. “She’s unbelievable. You know that?”

My head snapped up, watching him pace. “You know?”

“Grace, she told me.” He scratched at his head and pushed up his glasses. “She told me not to tell you.” He pressed his lips tight, shook his head. “I suspected you knew, but she asked me not to say anything.”

“You knew?” I repeated.

“Yeah. And apparently so did you. She told me you didn’t know. I guess she wanted me to believe that you’d stand by her, take her side because of who she is. Not because of what happened to her.”

I shook my head, not comprehending. “When did she tell you?”

He shrugged and plopped back down on the chair. “A couple years ago. Top secret.”

Another lie I’d somehow bought into. That I was the only one she’d trusted to tell. Another betrayal. Lumped on top of the others. She’d lied. Blatantly.

“I feel bad that it happened to her,” James said. “It explains lots. But she also has to take responsibility for herself and her behavior.” He paused. “You have to let her.”

The bird flew out of the birdhouse and escaped over the fence. I wished I could join it.

“The difference between me and you,” James said, “is that I don’t think that it makes everything she does okay. She played us.”

“Wow,” I said. I had to think. It didn’t change what had happened to her, but it did change things.

“I’m done with her,” James said softly. “And I think you have to make a choice too, Grace. Figure out what you want without her clouding your view.”

My insides squeezed tighter. Breathing hurt. James pushed on his chair and stood. “I should go inside and check on my mom.”

I reached for him, afraid to let him go. Afraid to face my choices on my own. “James! I’m scared.”

James took my hand gently off his. “You’ve spent so much time worrying about her, you don’t even think about what you need. And whether she’s the best friend for you.” He moved away and slid open the patio doors to go inside his house.

“She’s my best friend,” I called.

“Is she? Maybe you need to choose your friends better. You think about that. Okay?”

“You’re my best friend too,” I called.

“Am I, Grace?” He sighed. “I hope so. You let me know.”

“But…” I called.

He stuck his butt out the door, wiggled it, and then disappeared inside.

I laughed as he slid the door closed.

I’d talk to her. She and James could work through this awkwardness. She’d dump Steve when she knew what he really did. Everything could go back to normal. There was still hope.

Chapter Twenty-Five

I dozed on and off all afternoon. I’d crawled under the covers as if a flu had invaded my system. Knowing what Kya had done to James physically hurt. Knowing she’d lied to both of us. I was so confused. Did I even know her? I slept instead of thinking.