Ch. 1

"Oh, great. 'Its' home." I whisper, ominously as Truex's walks into the room. His presence is my cue to start gathering my things and make a run for it.

I'm not sure what it is about him and I, but we just don't get along. Every conversation turns into an argument. Which makes me want to cut my time short with my best friend, Mya. Sliding my purse closer to me, I get ready to bolt.

"You're not leaving." Mya orders, as I pick up my purse. "We just made all this food." Mya complains, pointing to the chicken Alfredo. 

She's marrying her, "Dream guy" one of Truex teammates. I can cook a little bit, but she's utterly helpless. I've been trying to teach her the basics. Like how to boil water, turn on the stove, that sort of thing.

"Yeah, I gotta go. Sorry, maybe next time." I reply, not at all feeling sorry.

"Where do you have to be at 7 o'clock at night on a Saturday?" She asks, suspiciously. She knows as well as I do, I have no social life.

Truex who has never kept his mouth shut a day in his life turns to me, "Avoiding me, Briar?" He asks, knowingly.

I grin humorlessly, "Why would I want to skip all the unpleasantness that is you?" I retort, back. He knows full well, he's the reason I'm leaving.

"I've never been called unpleasant before." He remarks, his eyes laughing at me.

"Only because you can't hear all the way up there." I respond, looking at his height advantage with disdain.

"Feisty today." He replies, smirking. Realizing this is just the beginning of another long, drawn out argument, I sling my purse over my shoulder and move towards the front door.

    Mya grabs my arm before I make it past her. "Enough! Why the hell can't you two coexist? Just ignore each other and if you do have to speak, try to do it without trading insults." Mya suggests, like it's the simplest thing to do.

I roll my eyes at her. Its not like we haven't tried that. I've known her two years and Truex about 9 months. Mya and I moved out here to California from Michigan together. I'm pursuing my art career and not doing too bad.....but not doing too good either. Still flat broke and about to get evicted, but I'm living the dream.

Mya teaches at a local school and is using her spring break and all of her summer vacation to plan her wedding. Doing all this while living with Truex, her brother to save money, not that she needs to. Truex is footing the bill for the wedding and her fiancé is loaded.

    Glancing at Truex, I recall the exact day we met. I was instantly wary of him. He was cold, quiet and reserved, but I didn't dislike him. Far from it, I actually thought he was sort of interesting, like a character in a weird Scifi novel. I smile at the thought. He's still distant to most people, the fortunate ones, but to me he's a total asshole.

"Please, Briar. I want to discuss the wedding. You promised to help pick the bridesmaids dresses tonight. And we're supposed to start our workout tomorrow. I need your help! We have to get me in shape for the wedding." She whines. I mentally roll my eyes. Mya looks just fine, curvy but still toned. However, it's my duty to support her in whatever she wants.

    Sighing dramatically, I give in, "Fine. I'll stay." I can't break my promise to her, she'll never let me forget it.

I can be a brash person, not intentionally but some people find me challenging. Which makes it a struggle to garner friendships. So, anyone that has stuck it out with me for two years is worth a little discomfort.

    "Big brave, Briar." Truex whispers in my ear as he grabs a plate from the stack next to me. I narrow my eyes at him, but look away when I see his amusement.