- 46 -

As the clock hit six I was in a complete panic. I need to leave like now if I want to be on time to Adam’s house.

 My lip gloss was already wearing off and my shirt kept sliding down. I have to admit, it is one of my more revealing tops. But I didn’t have much clean, okay? And besides, it’s just a cami that happens to be fairly low cut. Besides that it’s not bad. And I had a sweat jacket over top so it wasn’t even too noticeable. At least I don’t think it was. My hair was down in waves that cascaded over my shoulders and I smelled like winter candy apple, courtesy of my new perfume. I glanced once more in the mirror before hurrying downstairs.

“Where do you think you’re going?” Jamie asks, raising an eyebrow in my direction from her spot on the couch.

“Huh? Oh, just a friend’s.”

“Dressed like that?”

“What’s wrong with this?” I ask defensively.

“Nothing,” she taunts. I roll my eyes. “And by the way, we still haven’t gotten a chance to talk about Friday night.”

“Can we do it when I get home? I’m already gonna be late.”

“Fine. Try not to freeze your ass off,” she warns as I walk out the door. Once I was in the car I dialed Harry’s number. I haven’t talked to him today, and last night I got around to calling him so late that he was sleeping already. It rang twice before he picked up.

“Hey,” he says.

“Hey babe! How’s it going? I tried to call you last night, but I guess you fell asleep.”

“Yeah. I’m alright. Where have you been recently?” he asks casually.

“What do you mean?” I ask, pulling out of the driveway and putting him on speaker so I could talk and drive at the same time.

“You just haven’t been as available recently. It seems like you’re always busy. Is everything okay over there? Is Jamie alright? Your mother?”

“What? Yeah, yeah. Everything’s fine. Sorry if I gave you that impression. I’ve just always been doing something when you call. Sorry. Next time I’ll be sure to answer as soon as you call,” I promise him. I really need to stick to it this time.

“Okay. I just wanted to hear that you’re okay.”

I smile. He’s just so caring. “I’m fine,” I assure him.

“Awesome. Did I tell you what happened the other night when the lads and I went out to eat? Gosh, it was crazy.”

“Nope,” I say as I pull up to Adam’s house. “And I’m sure it’s a great story and all, but I actually have to go right now,” I say sorrowfully as I glance at the clock. I was already ten minutes late.

“Oh,” he says, obviously disappointed. “Okay.”