(1) The Last Straw

I slammed my fist down hard on the alarm clock. Running the grogginess from my eyes, I stood and glanced at the clock. 5:00 am, like usual. But today was a little more special to me than most- it was my birthday. I quickly ran over to my dresser and pulled on my standard t-shirt and jeans before heading to the bathroom to get ready for the day. It took me exactly thirteen minutes to brush my teeth, do some minimal makeup, and put up my hair for the day. I took an extra minute to smile at myself in the mirror, but after that I threw on some shoes and headed upstairs to the kitchen.

As an Omega, I was expected to do various things for the pack. Cooking breakfast for everyone was one of those things. I opened the fridge and pulled out about three packages of bacon, then I grabbed some pancake mix from the cabinet. This would be just enough for about a third of the pack. Just as I started cooking what I needed to, some other Omegas came up from their small cots and joined me in the kitchen. There were quite a few of us crammed in here, but somehow we always managed to make a surplus of whatever we were cooking. We had to, or there wouldn't be anything left for us to eat after everyone else had taken their share.

At around 6:30, people started to wander into the huge dining room. There were four long tables that spanned all the way down the room length wise, and chandeliers hung daintily above each one. It looked like something straight out of a movie. People started lining up and grabbing breakfast, never saying a word to us and never making eye contact. Finally at around 8:00, the last people had come to eat. The other Omegas and I started to clean every pot, pan, and dish that was used, finishing just in time for our morning assignments.

Alpha Wise and his son Marcus entered the dining room where we were polishing tables. He cleared his throat, immediately forcing to stop what we were doing and stand straight at attention.

"Alright Omegas. You know the drill. Tomorrow is my daughters birthday and I want everything to be perfect. If not," his eyes grew dark, a color I had seen many times before. "You know what happens then."

He nodded to an Omega who stood tucked away in the corner. She was the Alpha's personal Omega helper. She scurried over to each of us and handed us a roll of paper that had our tasks on it. After she was done, she bolted from the room to start on her own chores. Alpha Wise gave us one last look before leaving, and Marcus did the same. I could have sworn his eyes lingered on me longer than anyone else, but I was probably imagining it.

Finally we were free to eat. I sat by myself in the corner with my small plate of cold food and pulled out a picture of my mom. She really was beautiful.

"Happy Birthday to me." I whispered to her. "I miss you mom."

The day droned on like many before it. Every year we would make a big deal of the Alphas daughters birthday, but never mine. Yes, she was of the Alpha bloodline, but to throw a huge party for her 16th birthday seemed a little much. I was 16 today too, but no one cared.

I stood in the large entertaining room just at the bottom of the stairs in Alpha Wests house, completing my tasks. This first couple things on my list were already checked off, and I had just started setting up streamers and balloons. I reached my hand into the box for one last...We were out of tape. I sighed quietly to myself, resigning to the fact that I would have to get some more. I took one step towards the door, and immediately froze in place.

The scent of cinnamon and raspberries hit me in an overwhelming wave. I had only heard of things like this happening- I heard this would happen to the Alphas daughter too. When you turn 16, you're supposed to find your mate. I guess I just thought I'd never find mine.

The wolf inside me was shaking violently with the thought of finding him. I took off in the direction that the intoxicating smell was coming from. It grew stronger and stronger as I ran until- I was being called. The shouts of outrage rang across the hallways from the abandonment of my duties. I turned around and walked backwards away from the sounds, trying to get away.

"OMEGA!"

When we bumped into each other, tingles and sparks shot across my skin, causing the hair on my arms to stand straight up. My breath hitched in my throat at the feeling- it was an amazing experience. I turned around slowly, taking in the full appearance of my mate. He was gorgeous. Slightly taller than me, with a beautifully chiseled face and a muscular body. His loving green eyes stood out beautifully against his pale blonde hair. My heart skipped three whole beats before I could breath again.

"Uh... hi..." I felt so stupid standing there in front of him like a small child. My cheeks were flushed an I couldn't stop staring at him. He smiled at me, causing us both to giggle a little bit. I could have stayed in that moment for the rest of my life and been content.

But I couldn't do that. Just as he was about to open his mouth to speak, another call for me rang out across the hall. An officer turned the corner and spotted us standing there together. He focused his glare directly towards me.

"OMEGA. What are you doing away from your tasks?" I turned back to my mate to see a look of disbelief etched in his face. He stared at me again without the loving touch in his eyes, and slowly backed away. Tears flooded my eyes.

"No- I," I couldn't speak. I was sobbing, watching as the person I was fated to be with refused to be seen with me. "I-"

"GET BACK TO YOUR POST OMEGA." The officers voice boomed loudly, interrupting my thoughts. I didn't even know what I was doing until I was already out the door.

I was running from the only life I had ever known. My heart was broken, my world was spinning, and I had no idea where I was going. But one thing was for sure- there was no place to go but up.