Ch. 1: Acceptance

The trembles in my hands didn't seem ready to stop anytime soon. I'd come home from an outing with a few friends and decided to check the mail on the way in. It had been a few days and I highly doubted Mother even thought about looking in the box. She could run a social event like a general but anything outside of fine wine and the latest gossip was lost in a sea of disinterest.

Nestled among bills and the usual junk was creme-colored envelop, my name and address scrawled across the front in elegant script. A red wax seal, pressed in the shape of an R, kept it closed. Just from the feel of the paper, I could tell whoever had sent it was rather well off, for lack of a better term. I didn't know anyone that would send me an actual letter, let alone one on such fine stationery. Figuring it wouldn't open itself, I trotted into the kitchen to get a knife.

We didn't own a letter opener and the thought of just ripping the top off felt wrong somehow. Besides, the last thing I wanted to do was potentially damage the letter's contents in case it was from someone important. Trying to keep a steady hand, I lightly slid the sharp point across the envelope, a relieved breath escaping when I managed the task without harm coming to anyone involved.

Dropping the knife back in the block Mother had to spend an insane amount of money on just for "decoration", I pulled out the letter inside, and after scanning the first few lines, it felt like my world stopped.

Dr. Ms. Hemmings,

We are pleased to write you as you have formally been accepted into Rigryce Academy. This is an opportunity given to very few and one we know you worked hard to earn. Becoming a pet is a prestigious honor and Rigryce prides itself on helping its students achieve such a goal. It will be challenging but you have proven to be up to the task. The faculty and headmistress Moreau hope you accept the invitation to become a student and join them in education.

Inclosed is a list of locations where we have trains departing from. If you are interested, please be at one on the marked date. Students must arrive at the school by one of the designated trains. Rigryce has no formal uniform. However, it is highly encouraged girls wear proper feminine attire to reflect their status. This includes skirts, no low cut tops, and shirts and dresses must have sleeves.

Sincerely, Rigryce Academy

It felt like my heart would burst and my damned hands couldn't seem to quit shaking. Dropping onto one of the stools by the counter, I stared at the piece of paper in my hands like it was magic. It was from a school that trained vampire pets, so that might not have been far off the mark.

I can't believe I forgot. The thought filtered through the mess in my head and if I could have, I would have kicked my ass for being such a dunce.

Last summer hadn't been the greatest, with my brother River trying to get his band off the ground and my mother in a nastier mood than normal thanks to his sudden decision. Those two didn't see eye to eye on the best of days and the house practically vibrated with tension when River was getting ready to pack up and go. Needing something to do to get away from the chaos, the part of me that's a little crazy and wild suggested I try getting into the one place I'd dreamed about for years.

I never thought it would happen. Applying Rigryce was only scratching the surface of what it took to get accepted. If they were interested, there was then a series of interviews you had to attend where they could gauge if your intentions were pure and see if you were a good fit for the school. Despite my mother's best attempts to make me into a proper socialite, I could be a hot mess when it came to other people. Especially when I was nervous and I don't think I had room for any other emotion as I got approved to move through each stage of the trial.