Chapter one: Time of Death...

AUTHORS NOTE: The entire book is currently posted.  This will only be up for a limited time. The completed book is available for purchase on Amazon in either paperback or kindle formats. Just search my name on Amazon: Mike Turpen

Or at CreateSpace  https://www.createspace.com/4178821 (paperback only)

WARNING: THIS STORY MAY DISTURB YOU.  EXPLICIT CONTENT, LANGUAGE, AND VIOLENCE...READER DISCRETION IS ADVISED!

                                                  Daddy's Little Girl 

In the four years he's owned the car, Harrison Kringe has never driven it like this. Weaving in and out of traffic, and ignoring road signs, the white knuckled ride is all but familiar to him. Gripping the wheel of his Ford Taurus, as if his life depends on it, though, it isn't his life that is in jeopardy. Unrelenting anxiety, and dizziness from hyperventilating doesn't help the matter at hand. While his mind races and panic is scratching at his soul, Harrison can't help, but think the worst.

Rebecca, his wife, lay slumped in the back seat. Harrison would prefer the screaming she had displayed, only moments prior, as opposed to the now deafening silence that surrounds him...at least he would know if she was alive or not. Harrison's heart pounds beneath his breast plate so hard, and so fast, he swears it is going to break through, or explode trying.

As Harrison speeds along in the darkness, very few street lights pave the way, he isn't very familiar with these roads either. He and Rebecca have only lived in North Point for five days. They had moved recently, due to Harrison's job promotion. He works for the large security firm, A.C.T.S., or Armored Car Transport Security. While the rest of society struggles with unemployment, bankruptcy, and foreclosures, Harrison's company is steadily growing. Rebecca worked as a part time substitute teacher, before the cross country relocation. She has not found a job yet, but Harrison's income more than makes up for her lack of employment.

None of that matters now. All the money in the world can't change the way Harrison feels about Rebecca. He would quit his job in a second, if it meant saving her life. In Harrison's mind, his only purpose here on earth, at this dark hour of his life, is to save his wife.

The rescue attempt is nearly cut short. Seemingly, out of nowhere the road veers to the right, a sharp turn that isn't meant to be taken at such risky speeds. The car slides off the road, to the shoulder, the tires screeching all the way, kicking gravel up into the under carriage. Harrison pulls the wheel hard, his sweaty palms slipping off the steering wheel,  he nearly hits a tree. Harrison manages to keep control of the vehicle long enough to return to the proper side of the road.

Harrison curses to himself, "Shit! Where is it? Where the fuck is it?"

Then, as if someone had heard the cries of the desperate man, a rectangular sign, suddenly appears in the pair of bright beams, glaring from the Taurus. A large white "H" in the center of a promising blue background. Harrison shrieks with relief at the sight of the sign.

Harrison speaks to his wife, as if she is still conscious,

"Hang on baby, we're almost there."

Rebecca offers no reply...she hasn't made a peep, since she passed out from the loss of blood.

North Point Hospital sits silently, looming in the night. Rebecca is dying, and the sight of the massive building gives Harrison only a shallow sign of hope. He races to the emergency entrance doors, bringing the car to a loud but hastened stop.

Harrison runs with Rebecca, limp in his arms, between the glass doors into the lobby. No doctors or nurses seem to be present.

He screams for help, for someone to save his soul mate. "Somebody? Please, my wife is dying, HELP!"