The Song

"Now that her powers are being controlled by us, we can wipe her and use her directly against the Avengers," the short man announced around the corner to a few other men in white. The clacking of shoes through scarce hallways echoed in my ears. Bucky was told to stay with me in case I tried anything.

I lifted my gaze and stared at him. His eyes we watching the wall behind me, obviously avoiding eye contact.

"Bucky," I whispered.

He didn't bat an eye. I turned away and stared into nothing, trying to forget that Bucky was so close to me, yet so unreachably far.

This was it. He was gone, and I was next. All I wanted was to hold Bucky one more time and sing with him. If that can't be my last memory, maybe just me singing to him would be good enough in my heart.

"I don't mind spending everyday, out in the corner in the pouring rain," I sang softly to myself.

His lips twitched and he blinked a few times too fast to be normal. I was singing to myself, but on some level, I was singing to Bucky who was stuck deep down inside the stone cold man in front of me. I sang in hope that maybe my Bucky could hear and come back to me.

"And she will be loved, and she will be loved," I repeated. Memories of Bucky singing his heart out came to mind. I could almost smell the hot chocolate that he made for me that morning.

"I know where you hide, alone in your car. Know all of the things that make you who you are," I continued, almost bawling now.

It was useless. Soon, I was going to be a lifeless drone. I wouldn't be able to live life as I wanted. I wouldn't be able to wake up to Bucky, and sing to him as we ate together. I wouldn't be able to hold him at night, and he wouldn't be able to hold me. I was feeling drained and dead before Hydra had even done anything to me.

"I know that goodbyes mean nothing at all. She comes back and begs me to catch her every time she..." I moaned, rolling my head forward to let the tears fall to the floor. I forcefully exhaled and wept heavily to myself, breathing harshly.

"...Falls," a husky voice added.

My head shot up and Bucky's mouth was parted slightly and his face was confused. He furrowed his eyebrows and shook his head.

"Bucky? Bucky, it's me, Darby," I tried talking to him.

He raised his hands to his temples and shook his head.

"I don't know what...I, I don't know you!" he cried out furiously.

"Yes you do Bucky! You know that song! You love that song," I continued, sitting up straighter in my seat. "Bucky please, come back to me. I need you!" I pleaded. "I love you," I ended.

His mouth gaped and his face softened. He pushed his back against the wall, his eyes raising slowly to meet mine. The creases in the corners of his eyes told me that he was close. He needed that push to send him back over to reality.

"I love you Bucky. I love everything about you. The way you snore when you nap, or laugh at the television. I love the way you pet my hair and get protective over me when Tony gets too sassy," I quickly tried to narrate.

His eyes darted to the floor and he kept shaking his head, telling himself that he was unfamiliar with my oh-so-familiar voice.

"I love the way your eyes sparkle when you talk about the forties, or anything about Steve. What I love the most about you is how you make me feel about myself. You make me feel confident and loved. And I don't care about what you did, because I know the truth...the truth that you are pure and innocent, just as Hydra is corrupt and evil," I huffed.

"I just really hope you're in there Bucky, because I sure could use a rescue," I told him, my voice getting quieter at the end as I started to choke up.

He fixed his stance and stomped over to me. He was exhaling deeply, so much that I could feel his breath when he got close. He moved his hands to my face and I shut my eyes instinctively, awaiting a blackout from his grip on my neck.

He wrapped his hands on the back of my neck, and pulled me forward until our lips touched. He held me firmly, but tenderly, just as I remembered. When he pulled back from the kiss, I could smell that minty musk that sent chills down my spine.

"I love you too Darby," he whispered.