Chapter 56

Dominic stumbles again and I stumble back, grunting as I try to steady his enormous frame. Aunt Kelly immediately looks up from tending to Uncle John, who's still in a fog and rushes to Dominic's other side. Even with both of us holding him he still overpowers our efforts and drops to his knees—his blank face creating a new pit in my stomach.

"We need to get him on his side!" I tell her, glancing at his feet as a pool of crimson continues to drain out of him. "Shit, he's bleeding too much!" I scream.

Placing my hand around his waist, I struggle to guide him down when Aunt Kelly turns around and glances at Uncle John--still sitting in a daze.

"John!" she shouts, "We need you!"

It's as if her voice or maybe her urgency snaps him out of it because he whips his face toward us, quickly scurrying over to help.

"Hurry, press your hand here and keep it there!" I shout to Uncle John who nods, placing his shaky palm against Dominic's deepest gash.

I stand for a second, letting Aunt Kelly and Uncle John get him down as I frantically scan the area for Zack, hoping he heard me.

How can he not know what's going on?!

"Kate!" Aunt Kelly screams, "Do something!"

The desperation in her voice practically knocks me down as new tears drop from my cheeks. I stare down at Dominic's lifeless body and practically collapse next to him. I don't know what to do or how to fix him. His eyes are closed but I can feel him slipping away. Reaching out, my fingers quiver as they gently touch his face—he may have saved my life but he's losing this battle.

"You can't die...you can't die..." I say so softly even I can barely hear my words.

I scoot my body closer and press my lips tenderly to his. He doesn't move or react the way I so desperately want him to, so I close my eyes and kiss him harder and faster, almost willing him to survive. But nothing is working. It's as if the life has completely drained out of him and it instantly feels like my heart is ripping in half.

Please Dominic—please don't leave me...

Without warning, an electric shock bolts through my veins and impossibly; it feels as though I'm lifted from my body. I'm floating up, watching everything that's happening down below, but I can still feel his lips against mine. I want him to live so badly that in this moment, right here, right now, I will do anything to bring him back—anything. Even give my life for his because until now, I had no idea how much this man means to me. I—I love him. I am truly, wholeheartedly, with every ounce of my being, in love with this man.

My eyes flash open when Dominic's mouth begins to slightly move and my energy or essence, or whatever is happening, I'm not sure, is being pulled out of me.

Suddenly, I feel him inhale so deeply, it's like he just took his first breath after being under water for too long. And when he exhales, I'm released and pull back, staring into his eyes as they slowly blink back open. 

Without thought, I yank him to me and start to cry like I've never cried before. It's as if every single bad thing that has happened in my life finally comes to a head. My Papa dying, my parents dying, the fire, Aunt Kelly knowing things she never told me, and now this. I'm holding on to Dominic's neck so tightly, I'm almost surprised when I feel his arms wrap about me and I look up to see those beautiful yellow-brown eyes I wanted so desperately to see again.

"Do not cry, my love." he whispers.