23 | The Comeback

Song for this chapter: “Demons” by Imagine Dragons

HARRY

     Time went on pretty fast. The early morning sun hailed onto us, casting its beautiful glow among the open fields. We survived another day. It was just yesterday that my life had been on the brink of death, only to be interceded a few times by someone who was once with us. Now, with only the four of us remaining, we had no choice but to move on. The thought of being this close to my home encouraged me to carry on, as well as having three special people in my lives whom I trust the most.

     “Ready to go home, Harry?” Louis asked, flashing a comforting smile to me that made me instantly at ease. His question made my heart race, each pulsating beat representing each second of being alive and a chance to make my wish come true.

     Letting out a long sigh of reprieve, I gently pat his shoulder in return.

     “More than ever Lou.”

     Everything was set. We survived a night of solitude out in the open, and with that fact that we uphold, there was this anticipation in our minds that we could do this. We had our guns, our weapons, our faith, and each other. There was nothing else that would stop us, except for the Creatures that never failed to imperil our lives. But given the things that Mike had told me before his demise regarding the answers, my mind had these reservations for Them, especially the mysteries concealed behind their existence.

     Louis was in charge to drive as I was the one responsible for directions. The roads leading to Cheshire still seemed to be familiar in my mind so I volunteered to sit in front. Niall and Hannah took their seats at the back, both of them occupied in reloading our guns.

     “Let’s get this Cheshire boy home!” Louis shouted, more than enough for the three of us to hear that made us all in high spirits.

     The cruise was quiet most of the time. We all had our eyes peeled, vigilant to any walking Creatures that threatened to make their contact with our car. I could feel everyone’s anxiety, but mine would probably be the strongest. As we drove along the lifeless streets, there were a couple of Them shambling their way to the unknown, causing us to hold firmly to our guns for any attack. My eyes kept their gaze on the map that Niall had obtained, making sure that we were on the right track.

     “Make a left turn right here,” I told Louis.

    With every turn, I couldn’t help but feel afraid. It just seemed pretty strange not to see a herd of them for a while, which could be a good or a bad thing to think about. Back at Tesco, I could still recall the intuition I had that something was wrong, and I was right. Their schemes of planning their attacks worked out well to Niall and I during that time, and given the fact that I had read some of the reasons for their behavior on the papers I had retrieved from the lab, there was no denial that there was a hint of life living among those Creatures. One way or another, the answer would be known, and everything would be okay.

     “Um, boo, which way do I go now?”

     Louis decelerated his drive as I studied the road up ahead. With confusion taking control, I tried looking at the map once more, but I started to panic to see that there were no exact pointers regarding the street that we were about to drive to.