Growing Pains [S1:E2]

| August 21 | Monday |

I darted around the apartment frantically searching for my keys. Jesus, why was I like this? Unorganized, scattered, and so irresponsible- Wait there they are!

I found them next to the TV where they most certainly shouldn't have been and made my way to our bedroom.

Megan lied there sleeping and I couldn't help but feel jealous.

"Babe," I said. "I'm leaving for work."

She groaned. "Come see."

I knelt down and brought my face to hers so I could kiss her bye. "Have a good first day back."

Her head nodded but her eyes remained closed.

"I love you," she mumbled.

"I love you too."

Then I bolted out the door.

Now that the semester was starting Megan would soon be busy and I wasn't looking forward to it. Not to mention the whole opening of Jinx 2.

Megan's schedule was a little shorter than mine. She attended classes from eight to eleven, had an hour break, and then work from noon to three. Tuesday's and Thursday's she only worked till two.

I made my way to Buddy's and reflected on what the next few months would bring. It was difficult not to get overwhelmed.

For the next month I would be training with Danna and then training and hiring employees. Jinx 2 would soon become my only full-time job, and letting Buddy know would have to come soon. Yet, even after a year of working here I still hated confrontation.

Instead of dwelling on my anxiety I focused on my job. Change is good, I kept telling myself. It means you're growing.

That's when Buddy joined me in the office.

"Hey kiddo," he greeted while pouring a cup of coffee. "How's Megan? First day back, huh?"

"Yeah, she's great."

Oh he was going to notice there was something up.

"You okay?"

I sighed. Called it.

"Buddy I need to talk to you about something."

Guess confrontation was coming sooner than later.

He sat in the chair across from me and waited.

"So come the end of September I'm gonna be managing a bar that one of my friends is opening," I started. "And once it opens I'm not sure if I'll be able to keep up with the shop."

He folded his hands and gave me a smile. "Sam, I know I'm your boss but I'm also your friend." He leaned forward. "You don't have to be afraid to tell me anything."

"But I may have to quit and I hate the thought of that," I answered.

"It's life," he said. "It's growth. And it's okay. I'll find another secretary. Although, I don't think they'll ever be able to replace you. Hell, Jake might even end up in this office."

I laughed. "He's a better secretary than a mechanic."

"You're probably right."

"But I really love working here, Buddy," I confessed.

He smiled. "Yeah but I'm sure you didn't move here to work at an auto shop for the rest of your life."

"Well no, but-"