Four

Year Three

I was just throwing some pieces of meat out for my babies --I mean, creatures, to eat.  I wobbled a bit before steadying myself, blinking harshly.   The medication I have to take every day always wears me down.

All of a sudden everything shook, as if there was an earthquake. I fell on my butt as Pickett clung to my neck.

"What's happe---" The world around me bounced around again, and I could hear all my creatures cry out in fear. 

I ran to the shack and climbed the ladder inside to the top of the case. I opened the latch and glanced outside. 

Newt and Leta stood in front of me, hands on their hips. 

I slowly closed the lid of the case hoping they didn't notice me.

"Eve." I heard Leta's voice from outside then a loud knock. 

I put on a grin and opened the case.

"Heyyyy guysssss." I drawled out. 

"What're you doing in a suitcase?" Newt asked. "How could you not tell us that you live in a suitcase by night?" 

"I'm sorry guys, I know I should've told you about this a long time ago, but I jus..." I stopped, not knowing how to continue.

I just opened the case all the way and sat on the edge. "I'm really sorry guys, I shouldn't be keeping secrets from you. I'll tell you guys everything." I motioned my head towards the case. They glanced at it, at each other, then back at me before walking towards me. 

I smiled at them as they hesitantly climbed in. When we were completely inside, their jaws instantly dropped. 

They stared out into the vast desert ecosystem as an erumpet ran by, chasing another as a small baby slowly rolled in the grass. 

Giant roaches ran by, scuttling around and playing with a ball I gave them.

A nundu perched on top of a hill and roared, its neck flaring out threateningly on the sight of new strangers. Newt and Leta stood there for a few minutes before Newt finally exclaimed

"WOW! Eve you had all of this down here and you didn't tell me?! Don't you know that I love magical creatures and everything about them? Have all of the conversations we had about beasts told you nothing?! Bloody hell, I'm going to live in here!" Newt rambled while walking about and pulling at his hair excitedly. 

"Eve, why didn't you tell us about this? Is there a reason you kept this from us?" Leta stood in front of me. 

"It's because..." I hesitated. I would have to tell them how I got it, and how I got my beasts.

"Eve?" Leta asked.

I can't tell you.

"Why can't you tell us?"

I can't say.

"Is it because you don't trust us?"

No, I do, whole heartedly.

"We won't judge you, Eve, if that's what you're afraid of, you don't have to tell us. I'm just saying that Newt and I would never do anything to hurt you."

I looked over at Newt, who was innocently petting the niffler in his arms.

I looked over at Leta, who was staring at me, with her eyes full of concern. 

I sighed.

I knew it was the right thing to do, to tell them.

"Ok, I'll tell you everything. Meet me in here at 12 tonight." Leta grinned and nodded at me.