Limits

I distinctively remembered life as a young curious child. It seemed simpler back then. All you had to do was wake up and get in trouble for not putting your toys in the correct area. Unfortunately, education became a necessity and you had to graduate high school with a diploma to either go more in depth with your education or to get an occupation nearby. Sometimes I wish to revisit the past where I could be reaping the benefits of having all my expenses paid for me, or where I only got upset when I could not have the toy I wanted.

But somehow, I am sitting here in my squeaking rotating desk chair. My eyes kept looking at my computer monitor to my sticky notes and then to the empty walkway. It was moments like these that sent my heart pattering and I could hear it ringing in my ear clearly.

Is this what a panic attack is?

Just in a few moments, Mr. Hale would have been walking from the corridor in his expensive no doubt black suit with Mr. Vasquez's brothers to discuss this new project. Not to mention I would have to sit there in agonizing discomfort because I shared relations with one of the most powerful men in that room. It was a pain.

"Ellie..." Mr. Vasquez calls out my name stirring me from my daze.

"Are you ready? You seem a bit nervous?"

It only took me a few seconds to snap back into reality. I was at work. On the job. I couldn't let Mr. Hale affect me when he wasn't even present. It was time to show Mr. Vasquez why I was an adequate associate. 

"I am more than ready sir, and have all the files laid out in a folder for information, profits, costs, signatures, and anything else needed is on my laptop to present at any time."

Although, I was not particularly looking forward to being in the conference room. One thing that I was particularly pleased about was my performance and attitude this morning pertaining to my job. I had exceeded my expectations of being one of the best assistants anyone could hope for.

I usually wouldn't boast about my performance because I am sure there is some assistance that achieves more than I do on a daily basis. I just had to reward myself for my performance.

Mr. Vasquez's brothers were pleased and well informed on the new project. Yet still I could not get my head around why would Mr. Hale want to participate in this certain project. I definitely didn't want to come out as self-absorbed. He couldn't have been here because of me.

There had been a couple of times our eyes locked through the conversation. The only words that had been exchanged were the plans and funding. 

The conference room was silent once again with only Mr. Hale and I left. Mr. Vasquez accompanied his brother's to the elevator to exchange last minute information and formal goodbyes. It felt like time had slowed down due to the fact that all I could hear was the clack of my heels against the floor. 

The chatter down the hall of Mr. Vasquqez and his brothers couldn't even beat the sound of my heart thumping beneath my skin. "Do you need anything else?" I ask him obliterating the silence thick in the air.

The cool breeze from the air conditioner was not helping for the heat between Mr. Hale and I was unbearable. I felt like I was in a boiling room with his easy eyes mirroring mine. "I'd like to know where did this dress come from. I've never seen you in it." He rubs his index finger across the stubble along his chin. "I think you look beautiful." He breathes.

Once again his eyes have locked onto mine. "Thank you..." I murmur.

"I hope we will be able to work together some more. I do quite miss your absentmindedness around the office. My new assistant doesn't quite have the spunk that you do. She's actually.... quite animatronic, robotic like," he admits.