Chapter 39.

Lennon.

I had nothing against the hospital staff but after exactly a month of seeing their faces, watching them jab needles in my arm and forcing me to walk on my very painful legs - I was every ounce relieved when they finally let me be discharged. They'd prefer it if I stayed for another month, but I was losing my mind in that place. I had been moved from the comfort of my own room to a ward which wasn't the best experience. 

They had stricter visiting hours, Harry still came and left when he felt like but it also meant he couldn't sleep over any more. He had insisted on 'christening' the bed, but I had some morals, and shagging on a hospital bed surrounded by seven other patients went against all of them. Harry was miffed to say the least, but he had a hand and he could survive a dry spell for a month. 

My head was almost fully healed bar the scar on the back of my skull which I kept hidden under a pile of hair. I was probably overly excited at the prospect of wearing my own clothes for the first time in thirty one days. When Harry walked onto the ward holding my clothes in a satchel I almost tackled him to the ground. 

"Alright Janice?" Harry spoke as I grabbed the bag from his grasp. He was looking over my head towards the lady whose bed was the next one along from mine. Janice was nice, but she was also ninety three and yet Harry still managed to make her blush every time he visited. I rolled my eyes at the pair of them before pulling a pair of jeans from the satchel. 

"Didn't I tell you to bring loose fitted clothes?" Dr. Spalding approached the three of us, a cheeky grin adorned on his face. He was my favourite doctor, much to Harry's displeasure, I wasn't hitting on the guy but it was nice to talk to someone whose false teeth didn't fall out every other sentence. Harry had begun to tolerate him though, after finding out Neil - Dr. Spalding actually had a fiancé who worked on another ward. He still glared at him every opportunity he was given however. 

I went on to roll my eyes at the doctor before shaking out the jeans in an attempt to rid them of creases after Harry had thrown them into the bag, rather than folded. 

"She said it was either skinny jeans or she leaves naked, and I don’t want her parading through the car park on show for all the ogling old men to see."

"Hate to say it but I’d prefer if she did leave naked." I don’t think Neil was fully aware of what he just said and how easily the words had left his lips. 

"What?" Harry’s reply was filled with venom and anger as he balled his fists by his sides. I knew what Dr. Spalding had meant with his statement, even if it had come out sounding wrong.

"I was thinking for the sake of her legs, she needs as much circulation as possible. I don’t want to ogle your girlfriend if you think that’s what I was implying." 

Harry grunted in reply and focused his attention back on me and Janice. Dr Spalding disappeared shortly after, claiming another patient was awaiting his much needed attention, which was highly believable because the sound of bells were constantly ringing in my ears.

"I still don’t like him," Harry muttered as he perched on one side of my bed facing Janice who was sat upright doing her usual knitting. She was currently finishing a scarf, after having already made me a pair of socks and gloves.

"Because he’s competition for you," Janice grinned. It was hard to believe she was ninety-three because half the time she had the mentality of a seventeen year old. She was cheeky and spoke her mind, whether that be about the awful food or how much she missed having a sex life. Some of her stories she told were enough to make me shiver in my own skin, there are just some things I don’t need to hear before I die.