Hidden Truth

*Gif is of "Balder"
....Anyone recognize the actor? ;)
Happy Reading!
*************

SIGYN

The most difficult aspect of Sigyn's betrothal to Balder was not the coercion into marrying him against her will. It wasn't being forbidden to marry Loki, nor was it the threats against her family. To Sigyn, the worst part of this sudden engagement was being barred from watching over Loki's children. Balder, aware of Sigyn's feelings for Loki, deemed it inappropriate for her to correspond with his children.

Hela.
Fenrir.
Jormungand.

Did they feel she abandoned them? Did they feel she didn't love them? Despite being mere babies, Sigyn didn't consider Loki's children simple-minded. She believed they were very intelligent, capable of recognizing her even at such a young age. Hela smiled when Sigyn was near, Fenrir's tail wagged excitedly at the sight of her, and though Jormungand's emotions were often concealed due to his serpent form, Sigyn liked to think the young shapeshifter recognized her too.

The mere thought of any of the trio feeling neglected tore Sigyn apart. Now five months old, the babies occupied her thoughts constantly. It pained her not to rock them to sleep every night. Were they missing her terribly? Were they thriving? As Fenrir and Hela grew, little Jormungand seemed to barely change, leaving Sigyn worried about his nutrition. Was he eating enough? Were his caregivers ensuring his well-being? She didn't know; she hadn't spoken to Loki in an entire fortnight. Not seeing the babies only worsened her depression.

"I must see them," Sigyn whined for the fifth time that morning. After caring for Sif and Thor's toddler, she struggled to contain her motherly feelings. She went about her day helping Sif, unable to stop thinking of the triplets. Fenrir was a playful pup, always seeking adventure, often engaging in tugging wars with Sigyn using a long piece of twine. Hela was as mischievous as her father, playing tricks and even turning her skin blue to startle Sigyn, yet she remained sweet and loving. Jormungand, the calmest of the trio, was analytical and less brazen, leading Loki to confide in Sigyn that his middle child seemed more animal than human.

"You see those children, and you might as well help your father sign his will," Sif retorted before dunking her head under the bathwater. When she resurfaced and cleared her mane of suds, she shot Sigyn a raised brow. "You understand that night with Loki was your last, correct? You are not allowed to go near him or his children again."
"I cannot simply stay away from them—"
"You shall!" Sif hissed in a whisper. "Going near Loki or his children guarantees your father's tongue," she insisted crossly. Sigyn's devastated expression softened Sif's tone. "It's as though you're my own sister," she said quietly, eyes watering. "I know firsthand what it's like to be betrothed; there's no getting out of your marriage to Balder—"
"What if someone took Thorn from you?" Sigyn interrupted hotly. "What if someone made it so you could never see that boy again?"
Sif looked baffled by the question. "Thorn is my child-"
"THAT, is how I think of the triplets," Sigyn said through gritted teeth. "I do not think of them as solely Loki's children. "From the very first night I was employed to hush them to sleep, I fell in love with them."

Sif looked exasperated. "My goodness, Sigyn! You cannot honestly believe-"

"Apologies, my wife," Thor announced, suddenly appearing inside the washroom just as Sif had wrapped herself in a flowing robe. He spared Sigyn a quick glance but acted as though he heard nothing. "A royal meeting has commenced; we are encouraged to attend. It is of great importance."
"Why do you look so dire, husband...?"

Thor looked uncomfortable as Sigyn bowed her head respectfully to leave the couple. "Er... Perhaps you would be interested in this news as well, little Sigyn." Sif and Sigyn exchanged surprised glances before Thor heaved a heavy sigh. "Loki's serpent son, Jormungand, has vanished."

Sigyn paled immediately. Vanished? The simple word caused her throat to lock in fear, making it feel as though she could no longer breathe. No matter how many frightened questions she fired at Thor, he seemed practically incapable of answering her. Somehow, at some point during the night, Jormungand had escaped his tank, or something had happened to him. No one knew the circumstances of his disappearance. The child was less than five inches long. The more that was spoken, the more it seemed that something incredibly dire could have happened, something that involved any of the animals guarding the dungeons feasting on the too-small shapeshifting child...

Sigyn started crying the moment Thor revealed blood had been found by the boy's tank. It was unknown whether it was an injury the baby received from getting out of the tank or perhaps something atrocious had happened to him.