Chapter 9

July 1914

Today the Crawley family comes home from Sybil's season in London. I walked down the stairs to see all the maids and hall boys putting the house back together before everyone gets home.

Taking the sheets off the furniture, fixing pillows and changing old flowers with new ones.

"Come on, girls. Hustle" I smiled at Mrs. Hughes who was in a hurry. I walked down into the kitchen to find it more chaotic. I saw Mrs. Carson talking to Mrs. Hughes.

"Hello, Mr. Carson" he offered a gentle smile "Hello, my dear" "How was London?" I asked "It was quite well, but happy to be home" I smiled

"Well, it's good to have the king back in his hold" Mrs. Hughes chuckled "They're here, Mrs. Hughes" Gwen said from behind us, we all went upstairs.

~~~~

We all stood in the Main Hall waiting. Thomas went out to help with the luggage as William stood at the door to greet them.

"What a relief to be home" said Robert taking off his gloves walking into the Main Hall "Don't listen when His Lordship pretends not to enjoy the Season" Said Cora

"When in Rome..." They all looked to me, I smiled and waved "Hello" Cora hugged me first "Hello, my darling. We've missed you" I hugged her back "I've missed you too"

I pulled away "Hello, Robert" he smiled "Hello, my dear" I saw Sybil, she smiled at me "Sybbie!" I ran to her and hugged her, she hugged me just as tight. Everyone laughed lightly at us.

"The twins are back together" Robert said jokingly. We pulled away and laughed at him. I turned to Edith and kissed her cheek "Hello, Edith, how are you?" She smiled "Quite well"

"When will Lady Mary arrive?" Mrs. Hughes asked Robert "She's staying with my sister for a couple of weeks" "So Grantham House is closed?" She asked again "it will be by the end of this week" Answered Cora

"Dear Mrs. Hughes I hope you've had some time to yourself while we've been away" asked Cora "I've tackled a few jobs that get forgotten about when the house is full" Mr. Bates helped Robert with his coat.

"Any local news?" Robert asked "The only topic here is the murder of the Austrian Archduke" replied Mrs. Hughes "Here and everywhere else" said Mr. Carson.

"I'm afraid we haven't heard the last of that. How's William?" He asked "Bearing up" Mr. Carson answered "Poor chap. He has our sympathies. I think I'll wash the train off before dinner" he said walking up the stairs.

"Very good, m'lord. I can unpack while you're bathing" said Mr. Bates "I'll see you up there" said Robert as he vanished up the stairs.

Sybil, Edith and I began to go up when Cora stopped us "Sybil. You were a great success in London, darling. Well done" Sybil smiled as we started to walk up, arms linked.

"You never say that to me" Admitted Edith "Don't I?" Asked Cora as she grabbed Edith's hand "You were very helpful, my dear. Thank you" Sybil and I laughed as we went up the stairs.

~~~~

I walked downstairs to see Dr. Clarkson talking to Robert. Robert quickly passed me and went up stairs, I looked to Dr. Clarkson.

"Hello, Dr. Clarkson" he smiled "Hello, Lilly" I walked down the stairs to stand in front of him "What's the matter? Is someone ill?" He chuckled "No, not exactly"

I narrowed my eyes at him "What do you mean by that?" he grinned "Lady Grantham, is pregnant" I looked at him shocked "What? How?" He opened his mouth, starting to speak. I lifted my hands up.