26. Bet you're regretting not letting her get a dog now

Thirteen's POV

I walk down the stairs with Cody in tow. Devin decided he wanted to look around upstairs some more. I don't have a problem with it. Jason stands at the foot of the stairs as I come down.

"Hey, since we don't have a hotel room booked for the night, would it be cool to crash here? Unless of course, you want to get moving now."

I shake my head. "No. We can spend the night here. I want to go through everything one more time before we leave anyway."

He nods and heads out to the car. Probably to get our bags.

"So...Devin's been bugging me," Cody says and I turn to face him, letting out a snort of laughter.

"Why am I not surprised?"

He rolls his eyes but smiles at me none the less.

"And...?" I trail off, leaving him to fill in the blank.

He feigns confusion. "And what?"

"What did he want?"

"He wanted to know if we were official."

"And what did you tell him?"

"What would you've preferred I told him?"

"Whatever your answer was will dictate my actions towards you in the next thirty seconds."

He laughs and takes a step closer to me with a smirk on his face. "I told him I'd talk to you." He takes another step towards me and reaches out with his hands. He pulls me towards him.

"So what do you say? Will you be my girlfriend?" His breath fans over my face and I keep my face blank.

"Nah," I say in a serious tone, but the look on my face says otherwise.

"No?"

"Yep."

"No way I can convince you otherwise?"

I pretend to think about it and shake my head. "Nope, not that I can think of."

"Nothing?"

"Nope," I smirk at him and his gaze flickers down to my lips. He lowers his head but before he can kiss me...

There's a very loud, very feminine sounding scream followed closely by the slamming of a door.

Except it's coming from inside the house...and Elaine's outside. The only other person inside the house at the moment other than me and Cody is Devin.

He comes running down the stairs and his face is white as a ghost. His eyes are wide and he looks around frantically before his eyes land on us. He doesn't even crack a joke about our position as he comes running up to us.

He's breathing heavily like he just ran a marathon and he struggles to form words to explain but keeps pointing frantically up the stairs.

"Six feet under and she's still scaring the crap out of people," I mutter under my breath.

"I found Angel." Devin finally manages to say.

"Is she dead?" Cody asks, obviously trying to find an explanation for Devin's terrified behavior.

Devin shakes his head wildly and points out the glass doors to the pool in the back. "I know why that thing's so filthy."He says, still gasping for breath.

"Because it's had years of neglect," Cody says simply. And Devin shakes his head again.

"Trust me, Jason is not going to want to spend the night here anymore."