Chapter 4

After school ended, I went straight home wanting nothing more than to collapse on my bed and sleep. But, because I have so many classes and AP classes, I have a load of homework to do. Plus the work I have to catch up on since I'm a new student.

I pull into the driveway to my house and notice that my mom's car is there. I close the garage door before stepping inside the house.

"Mom! I'm home!" I yell, walking to the living room where she's watching tv. Why would she watch tv in here, instead of the theatre we have upstairs? I mean I would. But I guess that's just me.

"Hey sweetie, how was your first day! Did you make any friends?" She questions.

"It was good! I think I made friends, I met two girls named Willa and Violet." I say leaving out Daniel, James, and Jayce. I'm actually not sure if they count as 'friends'.

"That's good! Are they nice?"

"Yeah. Willa helped me when I got lost trying to find where my classes are. And Violet is nice. She's deaf so I talked to her using sign language."

She raises an eyebrow. "Wow! Really?"

"Yup" I nod popping the 'P'. "I told you those sign language classes online would pay off." giving her a knowing look.

At the time when I wanted to learn sign language, I had to practically beg my parents to let me take online classes. They would always tell me "what are you going to need this for?" Or "it's unlikely you'll meet someone who knows sign language" Ok well, they were right with the second one but still! I met someone who has!

"Yeah, Yeah" she says rolling her eyes. "What made you want to talk with her?"

"Well she was sitting alone at lunch and people sitting at the nearby tables were laughing at her so I decided we both could use new friends." I simply answer.

My mom smiles, her eyes lighting up "I raised a good daughter"

I put a finger on my chin and shake my head. "No...I think it was dad" I say, smirking.

Her smile turns into a glare. She grabs a pillow off the couch and throws it at me. I catch it easily and start laughing uncontrollably at her reaction.

"I was kidding!" I say throwing the pillow back at her.

"You had better be," she says, turning her attention back to the tv. I start to make my way to my room when my mom calls me back.

"Oh! Elise, before I forget to tell you. One of my new co-workers invited us to her house tonight for dinner. She said she has a young daughter that goes to pre-school and a son that goes to your school!"

Oh great here it comes...

"You know...maybe if you get to know hi-" she starts

"No, no, Mom!" I put my hand up to her. "I already told you, studies first then I'll think about dating"

That's exactly why I didn't bring up Daniel, James, and Jayce. My mom always talks to me about getting a boyfriend at every chance she gets. I don't know why! Even my dad agrees with her! They think that's it's good to have a relationship ONCE in a while so you don't 'practically faint when a guy suddenly goes up to you, with a bouquet of flowers and asks you out on a date'. Their words, not mine.

Wouldn't normal parents usually prevent their daughter from dating? I have no idea what made them think other wise. Don't get me wrong or anything. I won't mind if a guy asked me out. He would just have to know that my studies came first.

"Ok, ok I'll stop probing you...if you agree to keep an open mind about it" she says seriously.

"Fine" I agree with her. "When are we leaving for the dinner?"