Chapter Three

When Shelbie was done the little sweater for Thomas, she couldn't wait to put it on him.

However, she saved it for a present for him when Christmas would come, because it's the more appropriate time for a cat to have a sweater than just before it would get cold. It was pretty moderate temperatures today, so she made note to try and go out to the Forbidden Forest sometime that day.

Since winter was coming soon and she wanted to knit something that was a little more substantial to use she decided to start working on a scarf. Making sure she looked at her knitting book for the pattern to keep in mind in her head, she closed it and started to knit her pattern using a different coloured yarn.

Speaking of knitting, she might probably have to think about presents for her family. Even though Christmas wasn't coming up anytime soon, she knew time would fly by so she knew she had to make a mental list of what to make for each member.

Well, my mother will for sure want a new hat, so those are easy to make. Dad would definitely want a new vest made by me so that I'll have to make first. The scarf now? Mm... I'll probably make that for my brother since he needs one.

Her fingers worked fluently as she worked on the windowsill and didn't notice that she had an audience, and once she saw there was an extra body, she squealed.

The girl almost dropped her books in the process when she stepped back in surprise.

When Shelbie looked and saw that it was Natalie, she put a hand over her heart in relief.

"Sorry, you just startled me!" She cried.

"It's fine, I shouldn't have just stood there." She says. It was quick for an awkward silence to be noticed between the two girls as they both didn't say anything else to each other while Natalie stood, and Shelbie stopped her knitting trying to wrack her brain in what to say, but then Natalie spoke up. "You knit?"

"I do."

"What are you making?"

"A scarf." Shelbie looked down to the blue thing that was about her forearms arms length.

"How far are you?"

Shelbie shrugged as she said, "Still have a little ways to go."

"Natalie!" Shelbie looked around the Ravenclaw girl to see two boys run over to her, one of them strangely familiar to her. She furrowed her brows in curiosity when they stopped in front of her.

"Yes?" Natalie asked.

One boy had longish dark hair with stormy grey eyes while the boy beside him had messy dark brown hair that was a bit short with hazel coloured eyes. Both of them had Gryffindor robes which brought her some recognition of who they both were. They were Sirius Black and James Potter.

Sirius' grey eyes were excited as he spoke with Natalie while James was bouncing on the balls of his feet. Not wanting to eavesdrop or draw attention to draw attention to herself, she hid under her knitting and waited for them to be done.

Once they scurried off, Shelbie brought her head up and looked up to Natalie, not helping her curiosity. "What was that about?"

"They always seem to come to me before they pull a stunt."

"Do you get it right?"

"Almost all the time." Shelbie beams and blurs out,

"Wow, I can't believe people think you aren't intelligent." But she realized that it wasn't the best thing to say when she noticed Natalie's discomfort. "Oh no, I'm sorry! I didn't mean it like that! I happen to think you're very intelligent!" You done messed up Shelbie. She says to herself.

"Thank you, but if you'll excuse me I have someone to go hunt down. I'll talk to you later." Shelbie swallows.

"Bye, Natalie." She waved as Natalie went off leaving an embarrassed Hufflepuff. "What to go, Shelbie." She muttered and crossed her arms.

"Why you got to go and open up your big mouth?"

Still feeling slightly embarrassed from the encounter when she thought of it, she decided to try and shake it off as she made her way outside of the school at the end of the day towards the forest. She made sure Thomas was with her and that the two of them had slunk away as quickly and quietly as the could since the teachers had strict curfew rules after dinner.

If she had an invisibility cloak, oh would it be very useful to her.

Once she and Thomas made their way out of the school, she continued her way down towards Forbidden Forest where her escape from the world in the forest would be found; Her Hollow.

It wasn't much, just a nice mossy area with a few blades of grass here and there near a tall and large hollowed out tree. There were a few flowers that she would pick along the way as she reached the area to lay them around randomly to make it look a bit nicer.

It took her a while, but once she saw the tree, she smiled and tapped her thigh before she trotted over to make sure she urged Thomas to follow her a bit faster and she went on her knees to crawl inside it. Thomas came in soon after her. Bringing out her wand, she whispered "Lumos." And the tip of her wand started to glow, illuminating the inside.

Moss surrounded the floor of the hollow, and inside were a few more flowers, nature craft, as well as little trinkets she had found while wandering around. There was a knitted blanket in the corner for her, a cushion for Thomas,  as well as knitting swatches of different patterns that she had first tried pinned to the bark. The bark on the inside was carved in with swirls and scratches here and there (thanks to Thomas) that gave it a whimsical feel. She would need to get a candle in the hollow so that she wouldn't have to use her wand anymore for light and she can actually practice and execute the spell.

Once she was satisfied in her seat, the wool blanket pulled on top of her, she took out her book of charms and spells from her satchel, her mothers letter catching her eye for a second before she closed the flap, not wanting to deal with it then and began to read while Thomas sat close beside her, curling up with his tail over his nose.

Tonight would be a quiet night of her trip to her hollow, there would be no exploring tonight, only studying how to cast a cloaking spell to make sure her hollow was hidden.

She was lucky for it to not been found by a creature anytime soon, but she knew it wouldn't last forever and she would either have to cast a cloaking spell, or a creature or person would find it and she would get in trouble. Thankfully she hadn't been found out yet.

Mouthing the words as she read, the crickets softly chirped in the background as the sky got darker than the darkest colour you've ever seen. That was when she decided that it was time to head back.

So, closing her book, she puts it in the satchel and slowly wakes up the cat so that he wouldn't be left behind.

Thomas looked a bit too tired to stand, so tucking her wand under her arm and dent down to carry him the rest of the way.

Once the two got back to their dorms, it was like they had never left.