f o u r t y - t h r e e

"WHAT?" I couldn't and would believe what he was implying. There was no way I could...

"I'm telling you to break our bond... Our Soulmate Bond."

"You want me to..."

"All you have to do is attack me; literally just a scratch," he told me. "And then abandon me in the middle of nowhere... Because if I stay here, I'll probably end up falling in love with you again."

"Liam..." I whispered. "I can't-"

"You can't, what? Make a decision?" he demanded. My eyes stung, as I felt tears trickling down my cheeks. "You're the Alpha of the most powerful werewolf pack. You're supposed to be strong enough to make decisions for an entire pack. But all you are, is weak. So weak... You can't even make your own decisions."

Each of his words was like a knife through my chest. And with every blow, the pain became worse.

"Make your decision, Weslyn," he turned to leave. "Make it, before I break it, myself."

"But you promised!" I screamed. "You promised to love me forever."

"Oh, don't worry," his voice was
dripping with malice. "I will love you forever; nothing can change it. Not even if I forget you."

And that one sentence was enough.

It was as if his words pieced together the broken memories

"Weslyn!"

Before I realised it, my mother had busted into the room, tears streaming down her face and her clothing stained with blood. She raced towards me and flung her arms around me.

"Oh my Luna... You're okay," she whispered, burying her face in my hair. "You're actually okay." I furrowed my eyebrows, as I recognised the scent of the blood. My... Father?  Why was his blood on my mother's clothing? 

"A-alpha Wesley?" Liam stuttered from beside me, as he, too, recognised the scent."What happened to him?"

"William," my mother gasped, pulling away from me. "You have to get away from here... And stay with your father. He' the only one who can protect the pack  after we leave."

"Leave?"  he asked, shocked. "Liana, where are you going? And who are we being protected from?"

"As much as I wish I did, I don't have a choice, William," she replied. "The Alpha has fallen."

"What?" I felt my eyes flood with tears. "F-father... But who?"

"You're older brother..." her voice was flat. "He lost control."

Liam turned to look at me and for a moment, his eyes lost their anger. Instead, I could only see in him was sorrow.

"I don't break promises, Lyn. That's what you do."

"We are no longer safe," she told me. "Staying in Gray Valley is too dangerous. We have to leave at once."

"But you can't separate me from Liam!"

"You're the one with the Marks; the next rightful Alpha. With your father gone, our enemies will rise to massacre you. Until your of age, you will constantly be in danger. It's either leaving or putting your life on the line. I'm sure Liam understands." I helplessly turned to him.

"Liana's right. You should go... Lyn."

"But I-" I began. He pulled me into his chest, cutting me off.

"Just don't forget our promise," he breathed.

"Forever..."

"WILL!" Martyn yelled, grabbing his arm. He shrugged his hand off and made his way out. "William, come back!" He turned to look at me, his face full of regret. "I'll go after him, Weslyn." He ran out through the door after him, calling his name loudly.

I stared at the ground, still confused about what he had said. When did I break a promise?

As far as I could remember, I had never broken a promise to anyone... Anyone but West. But there was no way Liam was talking about that. It had nothing to do with him.

As far as I could remember... I sank to my knees, a familiar pain stabbing the sides of my head. It was as if my own thoughts were anguishing me. 

It was the same pain that had haunted me for so long... The pain I felt when my memories started resurfacing. I had already known that not all my memories had returned. There was something else.

Something else that I had forgotten.

"I'm sorry for separating the two of you," my mother said. "I really am... But you have nothing to worry about. The Soulmate Bond isn't as fragile as you think. When Weslyn is of age and she returns, the love between you would only have increased."

"We'll be okay," Liam muttered. Although, on the surface, he was reassuring me, I knew he was trying to calm his own mind, as well.

"I promise, Liam," I stared up at him. "I promise I will never forget you. I promise that my love for you, will never fade."

I finally understood what he had meant by breaking promises.