Chapter 34

That evening, Logan and Rory sat in Emily's den, watching an old movie. Luke and Lorelai were still out sightseeing and Emily was in the kitchen, working on dinner with Berta. Rory had some things on her mind that she wanted to discuss with Logan. Now seemed like as good a time as any.

"Logan, can we talk?"

Grabbing the remote to lower the television's volume, Logan nodded. "Shoot, Ace."

"It's just that we have some things that need to be addressed, given the baby and all."

"Like what?"

"Well, your work situation. You've been able to work remotely for a little while but I doubt that will last too much longer. You mentioned hoping to transfer to New York. Any idea when?"

Logan nodded once more. "Well, I want to talk to my dad in person about that, especially given the divorce. I had hoped that you would accompany me to London again in a few days so we could set that in motion."

"You may be able to convince me," Rory said, winking.

Logan smiled. "Next?" he prompted.

"If you're hoping to be transferred to New York, where are you planning to live?"

"I have been doing a little research and have found a home that I would like to buy. For us to live in together." Logan's eyes searched Rory's, finding the answer in their depths.

Rory threw her arms around Logan's neck. "I hoped that would be your answer! Tell me about the house! Where is it?"

A sneaky grin played on Logan's lips. "Well, it's a big, open house with lots of room. There are old columns out front and large windows that spill light across the refinished wood floor. Lots of bedrooms will house the brood of kids that we'll have. It's just perfect. The house even has a name that locals refer to it as."

Interested, Rory asked, "What's the name?"

Trying to build the anticipation, Logan grabbed his phone and pulled up a page he had bookmarked that contained the house's real estate listing. Slowly, he turned the screen toward Rory as he answered her question.

"It's called the Twickham House."

*****

After Natalie heard Jess' comment about marrying her, she ran around his desk and threw her arms around him. They didn't talk about what she had overheard but the feelings between them seemed to deepen. They began sleeping at each other's houses— though it was solely sleeping, nothing more— and Jess found he looked forward to beginning and ending the day with Natalie in his arms.

In that situation, it would have been easy to press for their relationship to become physical. Call him old fashioned, but Jess valued what was happening between them and didn't want to complicate it. He was perfectly content with their comfortable, loving connection. That wasn't to say he didn't look forward to it but sex wasn't necessary to show their feelings to the other.

After dinner, Jess and Natalie decided to curl up on Natalie's couch and flip through the channels until something caught their eyes. With his arm around her shoulders, he moved his thumb back and forth lightly on her collarbone. Emotion took a hold of him and he lowered his mouth toward Natalie's ear.

"I love you," Jess said simply.

Natalie turned her head toward him, her eyes bright and her smile full. "I love you, too."

Jess' lips found Natalie's, attempting to show her through the kiss just what she meant to him. When they broke the kiss, they snuggled closer, settling on watching old reruns, though neither was concentrating on the show. They were focused more on what was happening between them.

Natalie held Jess' hand in hers, tracing her fingers over his.

"We never talked about it but I know you know I heard what you said about marriage."

Jess swallowed, wondering where she was taking this. "I know you heard. And I saw your reaction."

Natalie smiled broadly. "Yes, you did. It thrilled me that you were thinking that, even if it is very early in our relationship. I was just wondering if you were serious."

Jess gently placed his hands on her face. "I was absolutely serious. I knew this thing was different on our first date. I want to marry you, Natalie. And yes, it's early in our relationship, but I know in my heart that you're one of a kind and I'm lucky to be with you."

Natalie moved her hands to hold Jess' wrists and lightly kissed him. "Was that a proposal?"

"No, it wasn't." Jess moved off the couch and knelt down in front of Natalie. "But this is. Natalie, I've never felt so strongly about another person as I do you. You've awoken my spirit and you cause my heart to soar every single day. I love you more than I could ever explain. Will you do me the honor of marrying me, of becoming my wife?"

Tears falling, Natalie's eyes were beaming. "Yes! One thousand times, yes!"

The couple stood, falling into each other's arms, celebrating the life before them that held such promise.