13. You Fool Nobody, Mr. Scamander

Darkness.

Then...

Out of the case.

Into a room.

Out the door.

Through a dark corridor.

Into another room.

There he was.

Newt. Her Echo.

She could tell that he was boiling with anger as he stared at Graves, "Useless? Useless? That is a parasitical magical force that killed a child. What on earth would you use it for?"

Tina, who was also in the room, reacted to the atmosphere that Graves and her Echo had created. She also looked at Graves, concern and trepidation written across her face. The man seemed to quickly realize his mistake and stood, brushing off the questions and turned the blame back toward Newt,

"You fool nobody, Mr. Scamander," he accused, "You brought this Obscurus into the city of New York in the hope of causing mass disruption- breaking the Statute of Secrecy and revealing the magical world-"

"You know that can't hurt anyone, you know that!" Her Echo protested, and she believed him, someone who's first thought was of his creatures couldn't be capable of something so terrible.

"-you are therefore guilty of a treasonous betrayal of your fellow wizards and are sentenced to death. Miss Goldstein, who has aided and abetted you-"

The door opened rapidly, surprising the wizard out of what he was going to say, "Mr. Graves, sir!"

Her body was dragged into the room by two additional wizards following behind the witch who had invaded her Echo's case, "The tiny dragon we killed! She was an animagus!"

"We killed Miss Myra Kegley!" one of the wizards pitched in, voice high with panic.

Her? He killed her? She was dead?

But Echo's can't die.

At least not for long.

Newt was still alive.

So how long had she been dead?

"It isn't of much consequence," Graves said, "She, along with Miss Goldstein, would have been sentenced to death as well."

"But most of New York has one of her wands!" the other wizard carrying her body protested.

She felt anger boil up inside her. Newt and Tina? What kind of human could be so cruel?

"Then you can have the honor of taking her down to the mortuary," Graves said, an underlying cruelty to his voice, "Either way, she isn't going to be coming back to life."

Oh, how she wanted to laugh in his face, it should happen any moment now, assuming that she'd been dead for a little less than thirty minutes. You will come back thirty minutes to an hour after your death.

After Graves signalled, a pair of executioners approached Newt and Tina, grabbing their bound wrists and pressing the tips of their wands into their captive's necks, "Just do it immediately. I will inform President Piquery myself."

"Myra..." Newt trailed off looking at her body, that was being hauled out of the room.

Graves held a finger up to his lips to shush her Echo, "Please," he waved to the executioners, who dragged the two of the out of the room as well, and in the opposite direction of where her body was going.

Her vision kept following her Echo, but she tried to keep her corpse in her sights at all times, however her last glance was when the four that she was following rounded the corner. She kept following, and when they had reached a room with a metal door, the executioners began to open it and shove Tina and Newt into the room. Then everything became a blinding white and she lost all sight of them.

This was a really short chapter, but I'm not sure what else to write, I mean, thirty minutes of death isn't all that long. See you all on Monday!
~Aria