Dalawamput-walo

K a r o l i i n a

It feels odd to see that the space next to me is empty and void. I am used to seeing his form beside me, slumped on top of the covers with his eyes closed. But, when I open my eyes to a new day, I don't see Eric, and that somehow worries me. I usually wake up earlier than him, earlier than the beeping sound of his watch.

I make my way into the kitchen, shrugging off the feeling that something was wrong. Eric is a grown man. I know that he can take care of himself.

When I reach the wooden-floored kitchen, I stand on the tips of my toes to grab a pan. He has upgraded his apartment ever since my stay. He bought new appliances and some other things to fill the vacant space. 

Just as I am transferring the food I have cooked onto a plate, Eric storms into the kitchen. He's a bit weary, a bit slow. Like he's disoriented at being up so early in the morning.

"Sorry," He says, sitting down heavily onto a chair, "I was called in early."

"It's fine," I wave my hand in his direction and slide the plate of fresh toast and bacon to him, "Is it classified or can I ask?"

At that, he blushes, which is rare for someone like Eric, and clears his throat, "That's actually something I need to talk about."

"Yeah? What is it?"

He lifts up his embarrassed eyes to meet my curious ones, and in my mind I have already melted at the sight of him being shy, "You see, there's this dinner party in Erudite that's being held every couple of months and I was wondering if you.. if you-uh..."

I wait patiently for him to finish his sentence, and I can't help but lean towards him in anticipation, "Yeah?"

"Leaders are required to attend and for the last four years, I've been going alone... and this time, I-uh, I don't think Max is going to tolerate me going by myself again. I was wondering if you..."

"If I?"

"Could be my date?"

I stare at his blushing face, wide-eyed, "That's all you wanted to ask?"

"Well, yeah. And it's going to be this evening and--"

"This evening?" I interrupt, shocked, "But I've never been to a dinner party before."

"So you're saying no?" His pout makes me shake my head like a mad woman.

"Of course not!"

"Of course, you're not going?"

I laugh at his confused face. His lips were in a pout, eyes wide with uncertainty.

I confirm. Relationships are good things for the soul.  

*

I've been standing awkwardly at the shop for quite some time now, and the lady behind the counter is starting to look irritated. Her lips are pursed, her eyebrows drawn together. With eyes narrowed, she opens her mouth to snap at me, "Listen, if you're not going to buy something, for fuck's sake, leave--!"

"Talk to her like that again and I'll send you to your Factionless friends," In one fell swoop, Eric is beside me, his arm snaking around my waist. The lady opens and closes her mouth in shock, and I try to stifle my laugh. I feel a little guilty of thinking that she resembles a fish out of water.

Eris glares at her through cold eyes, and steers me into the direction of the shop where a beautiful blue dress is laid out for everyone to admire. The dress is beautiful, adorned with blue lacy floral patterns, and the skirt reaching the knees. I am enchanted by the way it is designed, especially the colour, because it reminds me of the eyes of the man standing next to me.

 "It's beautiful," I breathed out, "I never thought that blue could be this beautiful in a dress."

Eric releases a low chuckle, his breath fanning my ear, "You don't think Erudite blue is nice?"

"Well..."

He laughs again, loud enough to catch the attention of the lady from a while ago, and reaches up to take the dress. He grabs my hand and together, we make our way towards the counter where the angry lady is giving us death stares.

"Points card?" She asks rudely, holding out her hand like she is forced to.

Eric puts his card on her hands, but I grab his arm before the card touches the lady's awaiting palm. The lady glares at me, and Eric looks down at me in a questioning gaze.

"I'll use my card," I say, hurriedly getting the card in my small bag to give it to the sneering lady.

She takes it, using more force than she needed, and swipes it, giving it to me as soon as she is finished. Eric frowns at me as we walk out the store. He takes my hand again, wrapping it with his calloused ones, "You didn't have to do that."

"It was my dress. It's only right to pay for it." I shrug.

He looks at me with an emotion on his face, one that I can't read, and his eyes sparkle against the low light, "Yeah. Okay." And we leave the Pit hand in hand.

*

We are waiting by the train tracks, in a place where a run-down road is before us. Eric is beside me, standing rigid in his black suit, his blue tie disarray. I grab it gently, putting it back to where it's supposed to be. 

The other leaders are surrounding us. Max is with his beautiful wife, Jared is with Layla, and Hugh is with his girlfriend, Belle. It is awkwardly silent, and I have no intention of making the situation lighten up. I am nervous, my palms are getting sweaty. I am going to a dinner party with the rest of the Dauntless leaders.

With Eric.

A vehicle's engine revs somewhere up ahead, and soon three sleek blue cars appear in our vision. My eyes widen as I take in the new sight. I've never seen a car in person before.

"Have you tried riding one?" Eric asks quietly as we walk towards the cars, keeping his hand at the small of my back.

"No," I whisper, still astonished.

"You'll like it." Eric says, flashing me a small smile.

"How are we all going to fit?" Our conversation is cut short by Layla's complaint, and I watch as she crosses her arms over her chest in irritation, "There are eight of us and there are only three cars."

"Relax, Layla." Hugh rolls his eyes, "One car is bigger than the other two. Four people can fit in said car."

"I don't want to share with other people," She huffed, dragging Jared to one of the smaller cars, "This will be our car."

Max pinches his nose in frustration, "Layla, you will be in the car with Eric and Karoliina. It's better that way."

"No it's not!" She screeches. When she sees that nobody is listening to her, she stomps her feet and begrudgingly walks towards our direction, huffing, "Don't talk to me when we're inside, got it?"

We stay silent.

The door opens as a man dressed in Erudite blue steps out, and he gestures for us to get inside the car with an inviting face, which surprises me for a bit. Then again, I've never seen an Erudite with a warm and smiling face before.

The four of us go inside, Eric sitting next to me, and Layla and Jared before us. My eyes are trained on the floor, and I am focused on squeezing the life out of Eric's hand. I am feeling anxious, and excited, and nervous, and so much more and I am not sure how to handle them.

The car moves forward with a slight jolt, and I suck in a breath. Layla raises an eyebrow, "What? You've never been in a car ride before?" 

I give her an uneasy smile and shake my head. She smiles--a little too evilly--and says with a smirk, "This should be fun." 

She turns around and says to the driver, "Drive faster. I want to be there first."

I think I'm going to be sick.