31. Any last words

Just a fair warning. This chapter is a little more violent than some of my other ones...and you'll see why.

Enjoy!

Cody's POV

Everybody's stopped screaming. There's the occasional cries and whimpers, especially if a gun goes off.

Both me and Chase have been moved to the center of the dance floor, surrounded on all sides by civilians, and gunmen. Elaine made it this way so that if we act out, there are civilians in the way that will definitely be killed because of us.

Girl's a lot smarter than she looks.

Most of the girls in the group are crying, makeup streaming down their faces, others just sit still in shock, trying not to draw attention to themselves.

That's the smartest thing to do in a situation like this.

Some of the guys are crying as well, but who can really blame them. Some of the 'braver' ones glare at the guys holding the guns but otherwise do nothing.

And some of the people look like they're too drunk to even be able to tell what's going on...lucky them.

"This went really wrong really fast," Chase mutters from where we sit in on the dance floor.

Everybody's huddled together on the floor, kneeling, sitting, some people even laying down and covering their head.

"Tell me about it." I groan, rubbing my face with my hands.

The couple from earlier sit on the edge of all the people and above all of them, the girl's the one drawing the most attention to herself.

She doesn't cry out, but she has her hands clasped together and continuously mumbles. She's praying, but she's not exactly being the quietest person about it, and I can tell by Elaine's facial expression...it's beginning to piss her off.

"She needs to be quiet," Chase whispers to me, obviously noticing the girl same as me. "If she doesn't shut up soon Elaine's going to make an example out of her."

"Well, we can't exactly get to her to tell her that," I whisper back.

My pulse speeds up when Elaine throws her hands up in frustration and begins to stalk over towards the girl.

"Shit," Chase mutters.

"Shit is right."

Elaine walks up to the girl and stands directly in front of her. The girl freezes, her mumbling stops and she lifts her gaze from the ground to Elaine standing in front of her. Horror in her eyes, as if she just realized what she'd done.

"Get up." Elaine hisses venomously.

The girl hesitates for just a second, but it's a second too long. Elaine's hand grabs a fist full of the girl's hair.

She cries out and grabs at Elaine's hand as Elaine drags her off to the side and out of the all the people. She pulls her gun from her waistband and presses it against the girl's head.

Her cries become louder and tears stream down her face, her hands still grasping at the hand holding her hair in a vice-like grip.

"Please, please don't." She cries out in between her sobs. "Please, please...don't." She chokes out.

"Elaine!" Chase calls out, standing to his feet. "Stop this. She's just a civilian, she doesn't need to get hurt." He holds his hands up as he talks to her, trying to get her to stop.