2. Welcome Home.

"The marks humans leave are too often scars."
- John Green

• Picture above is Rylan•

************************************************

"Young lady."

"Young lady?" A deep voice called again startling me awake.

I quickly open my eyes and looked over to see who it was that was calling me. I was surprised to see that it was the man in the suit, that was seated next to me.

"Yes?" I asked, still groggy from just waking up.

"Uh, the plane landed." He said, pointing to the now-empty plane that I just now had noticed.

"Shit," I mumbled to myself.

"It's impolite to swear, especially a child like yourself." He spoke sternly, furrowing his eyebrows at me.

"Sorry," I replied, not really sorry.

I stood up from my seat and grabbed my journal and Mrs. MacDymke's file when I looked back up the man was gone.

I honestly didn't expect to sleep the whole trip here. But I do have to say the plane's seats beat laying on the floor any day.

I carefully slipped between the seats, trying not to lose my balance to get to the main hallway of the plane. My legs felt like I was standing on water, probably because I've been sat down for so long.

I finally gain control of my legs and exited the plane. When I got outside I was slapped with a rush of fresh air. Goosebumps covered my arms. The air felt lighter here than it did in New York. And for some odd reason, I felt excitement bubble in my stomach, and an empowering sensation of freedom rippled through me like I had escaped something I didn't know about.

I quickly stepped down the stairs coming from the plane. And that's when it hit me, I have no clue where the hell I'm supposed to go.

I looked around, lost. That's when I noticed over to the left was a sign hanging over a glass hallway that connects to the airport building.

The sign said "Plane Landing Exit"

You can be really stupid sometimes Mia, I scolded myself.

I readjusted my journal and the file and headed towards the exit. When I stepped onto the glass hallway it felt like someone sucker punched me in the stomach. When you looked down on the glass floor you could see cars underneath you leaving the airport, or entering it for that matter. I glanced over to the sides of the hallway and I could see mountains out in the distance, they looked tiny from here but I knew once you got closer they'd become ginormous.

I never knew I had a fear of heights until now, granted I've never been in a situation where heights ever played a factor. I was usually forced to stay indoors or go to school.

Okay, Mia, you've got this, I told myself. It's only what fifteen steps? Easy peasy lemon squeezy. I tried to move my legs but they wouldn't budge.

"Oh come on! You stupid leg, move!" I cursed it.

It was obviously not offended by what I had said cause it still wouldn't budge.

I put both my feet on either side of the floor, as far from the middle of the glass as I could get. I closed my eyes tight, making sure I wouldn't be tempted to look down. Taking baby steps I slowly made my way across.