Chapter 49

Just a step away from her, Salman wasn't able to tear his eyes off her. In the deep navy blue abaya that flowed around her like an elegant dress, she looked adorable. Had it been few months ago, he would have taken her hand in his and complimented her, regardless of being in the family room. But times had changed. Her theatrical steps to change his heart were not effective. It was too late now.

It was at the tip of his tongue to bluntly tell her there was no use of wearing an abaya now. Instead, he remained silent, thinking of her health. In the last couple of days, she finally had no vomiting and was now going to university freely. He didn't feel it was right to say anything. It was better to keep his thoughts to himself. Why hurt her?

He stepped back, their eyes still locked. His heart pounding as he distanced himself from her. He shut his eyes, spun around and hurriedly left the room. Pain searing in his blood. Taking two steps at a time up the stairs, he went straight to his room and closed the door behind him. Slumping on the bed, he buried his hands in his hair and gave it a light tug to get rid of the sudden headache.

This was getting torturous day by day.

How will he survive another seven months?

He was in a constant internal battle. His mind persisting on being strong whereas his heart was slowly yielding and almost giving in.

He rubbed his face.

Ya Allah, let me make the best decision where I can find peace.

****

Nawal stared numbly at the space where he was standing. Her shoulders sagged in disappointment and her eyes blinked several times.

Just as I expected.

Muhammad was curiously watching her. For the sake of her father in law, Nawal smiled civilly. Her face devoid of any emotions.

"I presume you asked Salman about joining university this semester?" Muhammad probed.

Nawal slowly nodded, "Yes I had told Khala and she said he has no problem with it."

Muhammad still wasn't satisfied although he opted to keep quiet.

Just then, Seema entered the room and she exclaimed delightfully, "Nawal look at you. Mashaa Allah."

Before Nawal could react, she was engulfed in a warm hug. Nawal had lost count of the number of times her Khala had hugged her and comforted in the past month. In her maternal embrace, Nawal found warmth and love. Feelings and emotions that were missing in her life. Even now, as Seema rubbed her back, tears filled her eyes.

At least someone was there to express her love. She wasn't alone.

Seema pulled back and smiled, "I have good news for you." She hurried to the living room table and picked an envelope.

"What is it?" Nawal eyed it when Seema handed it.

"Look" Seema encouraged.

Nawal's eyes landed on the envelope and then a pleasing smile touched her lips after seeing the logo at the envelope.

It was the letter of appointment from the maternity hospital.

Her first antenatal check-up!

****

"Tomorrow is Nawal's first check-up. You should be there," Seema spoke softly in the quiet study room as she placed the coffee mug on the desk.

Late night, Salman was working late hours so that they can come up with a new marketing campaign. Distractedly, he glanced at the coffee mug that's when his mother's words registered him. His forehead creased.