Chapter 32: Lew Creek

Lew Creek.

3:23 p.m. 17th Peniel 1091.

Seven men and a black direwolf stood on a hill overlooking a small town. Their leader, Kashi, was absorbed in thought on how to approach, troubled by the high activity he could make out from his position.

Kashi frowned and turned to look at his partners. "I thought the entire Delta had been taken over by pirates?"

"Yeah, but Lew Creek is the only town with waters deep enough to permit travel with anything larger than a rowboat," Iason said.

"If one wants to travel from any town in the delta to the north, they must disembark at Lew Creek. Only a rowboat can make it as far as Ranad," Jero stated.

"That explains the activity," Kashi mused.

Kashi led his men down the grassy hill to the town.

Lew Creek was much bigger than Ranad, its streets paved with cobblestones — opposed to Ranad's bare earth. Horse-drawn carts departed the town, headed towards the north. Despite the illusion of boisterous activity, the town choked under a thick air of oppression, made evident by the somber faces and downcast eyes.

Kashi eyed the people and noticed several men and women dressed similarly to the bandits at Ranad. The civilians avoided eye contact with them as they went about their daily business.

"What're you looking at?!" one such sentry yelled.

"Forgive me," Kashi said, bowing politely, ignoring the disapproving glares from his partners."I wish to travel downstream and would like to hire a boat."

The sentry scanned the strange group. His eyes lingered on Kira awhile before returning to the daeben. "State your business."

"Ah, I wish to acquire some ingredients from the geruk frogs that inhabit the marshes to the south," Kashi explained.

The sentry cocked an eyebrow. "You an alchemist?"

Kashi smiled. "Only in training, kind sir."

The sentry scratched his chin in thought. A moment passed, and he must have believed their tale because he said, "Go to the harbor and speak with Captain Twix."

"Captain Twix was it? I will make sure to speak with him. Here, for your troubles." Kashi handed 100 Syros to the bandit, who accepted it with a giant smirk on his face.

The sentry happily pocketed the coins then beamed at Kashi. "You take care now."

"Oh, I will," Kashi said and made his way towards the harbor.

"Coward," Hektor rebuked when they had added sufficient distance between the bandit and themselves.

Kashi shook his head. "There is a time for subterfuge and a time to strike."

Hektor snorted. "Yer jus' giving excuses."

Kashi shrugged. "Perhaps. You'll learn soon enough."

"Still, we would like an explanation," Jero said. His words were seconded by the others, confusion in their eyes.

Kashi looked at them and nodded. "My apologies. I am accustomed to traveling alone. Tell me, Jero, what do you see when you look at this city?"

"I see people who have lost hope, living every day praying it won't be their last," Jero said as he surveyed the common folk's despondent faces and lifeless footsteps.

Kashi nodded and then turned to Hektor. "And you, Hektor?"

Hektor spat. "Che. Buncha cowards. Can't stand up 'n' fight fer demselves."