Twenty-One

It cuts deeper than any knife ever could. It has the ability to pierce deep into the bone while lacking any sense of compassion. Victims are unaware of it's bitter attack. They find safety in the arms of another. It becomes a search for a passionate fervency to counteract the iciness of the numbing air.

However, as the freezing air departs it is replaced by the freshness of a warm breeze. The dark surroundings are replaced by a renewing brightness. The ice begins to melt; it is a new season.

This could easily describe the blossoming relationship between Harry and Ava. As the seasons began to change, so did their relationship; a spring awakening.

He was sitting opposite of her on his bed. They both were preoccupied, each typing away on their laptops. He had been finishing up the last bit of his novel. She was writing her paper.

"Damn it!"

Harry looked over and was met with a very frustrated girlfriend.

"What's wrong babe?"

"This computer keeps freezing on me." She slammed her hand on the keys, hoping it would help the situation. It did nothing.

"That is why you need a MacBook."

"Don't start with me." The sternness of her voice did not match the smile that was sneaking onto her face.

"It would make a big difference. I'm telling you."

"Shut up Harry."

"Baby, it's ok. Come here." He reached over and grabbed her, pulling her into his arms. He nuzzled his head into the crook of her neck leaving soft kisses. "You can use my computer if you want," his voice muffled.

She pulled away and looked at him. She placed a soft kiss on his cheek and whispered a thank you. "This whole going back to school thing is a lot harder than I expected." She laid her head on his shoulder as he began to stroke her hair.

"Going back to school is never easy. But you're smart, you got this baby." His voice was tender, sending a wave of butterflies to Ava's stomach.

"Thank you." She whispered.

Harry turned his head around so that his lips easily met her own. The kiss was tender.

They spent the rest of the afternoon in Harry's apartment writing, eating Chinese takeout, and talking about everything and anything.

The more they spent time together, the more they began to fall for the other.

A few hours later, Ava had fallen asleep. Harry had found himself watching her. He had become mesmerized by her. The way her face looked so at peace while she dreamt. He couldn't help but stare at her pink lips. The more he stared, the more he found himself wanting to kiss her.

He was fascinated by Ava.

She was what he was needing. She was filling the hole in his chest that was caused by his daunting past.

She had to be an angel, he thought. It was the only possible explanation for the change in events. This relationship had come out of nowhere. He wasn't looking for this. Hell- he didn't even want a girlfriend. But here he was, sitting in his apartment, staring at this beautiful woman who was crazy enough to want him too.

He looked at the screen of his computer. He was finishing the last paragraph and his heart was beginning to beat eratically.

She was my angel sent from the gods above. She had taken my heart and my soul. Whatever she was, she was mine. There was no other way to look at it. This was my soulmate. My lover. My friend. Forever I would know that she is mine. And only mine.