6: Closer and Closer

//

Henrietta/Renley's POV

//

Classes finished for the day, and I was actually quite disappointed. I was already getting along so well with the Marauders--except Peter, of course, but that's pretty understandable.

Dinner had just ended, and I found myself trying to escape Lily. Ironic, right? I'm trying to avoid my not-so-dead mother, who just so happens to be pestering me about how I managed to beat Snape and almost beat Kaylen. Then the topic changed to the Marauders, and now, I was trying to hide.

'Think! Where was that shortcut on the Marauder's Map to the Gryffindor common room?' I thought desperately. I paused, glancing around wildly, until I came across a realistic statue of Headmaster Dippet. He was the Headmaster before Dumbledore, and apparently he was well respected, though not as wise and patient as Dumbledore.

I couldn't resist smirking as I remembered how to get behind the statue and into the secret passage. I pushed the knee of the statue towards the wall, which caused it to croak and grumble as the stone rolled slightly to the left. I mentally cheered as a hole was revealed, no doubt the entrance to a secret passage.

I darted into the opening, then pulled the statue's knee back towards its original spot. The statue rolled back into place, hiding me and my secret passage. I had to cover my hand with my mouth to stifle my loud laughs as I heard Lily calling for me.

I sighed, and then turned back to the dimly lit pathway. I ducked a hand into the inside of my Hogwarts robes, wrapping around the handle of my wand, just in case I needed to defend myself. I've been through this passage before, but that was when I knew no one else knew of it. And now, since the Marauders were all together and alive... there's no telling what could pop out and startle me.

And I was right about that, because the second I turned around a corner, I screamed.

"WHAT THE--!"

Four familiar figures screamed as well, obviously stunned at my appearance in the secret passage.

"Intruder!" James screeched. He leapt onto me, making me grunt as I was struggling to stay upright. Then Sirius joined in, and even Remus. Thank God Peter didn't touch me.

"OKAY!" I huffed. "Everybody, stop jumping on everybody!"

"Merlin, it's Renley!" James exclaimed. Remus and him backed off, while Sirius just smirked and remained glued to me.

"Sirius, you can get off now."

"Aw, honey buns, where's the fun in that?" he teased. Nonetheless, he released me and backed up with James, Remus, and Peter.

"How the heck did you get here?" Remus queried.

"Yeah, and that was a really girly scream," James snickered.

I smirked. "That wasn't my scream. That was Sirius'."

Everyone but Sirius roared with laughter. Meanwhile, the Black heir spluttered. "It was NOT!"

"Yeah it was!" Remus guffawed. "I saw you scream!" Sirius huffed, but gave up denying it.

"But how did you find this place?" James asked after we had all calmed down.

I fidgeted nervously, shrugging unconvincingly. "I accidentally bumped into the statue on my way back from Headmaster Dumbledore's office, and found the entrance," I lied. They seemed to buy it. I quickly changed the subject to them, though. "How did you guys find this place?" But I already knew the answer: the Map.

All four of them exchanged glances. "A Marauder never reveals his secrets," Sirius answered mischievously.

"Mhmmm," I hummed, crossing my arms over my chest.