4

I shoot straight up as someone lightly shakes me awake. My head whips around to see who touched me. I see a taken aback Shimizu recoiled. I sigh and the tension in my shoulders lessen. "Sorry," I utter. She nods slightly, "We're here,"

We get out of the bus and see the place we are going to stay at. It was nice. "Get ready for dinner!" Ukai calls out as we walk towards the entrance of the wooden building. "We get to sleep in the same building as Kiyoko!" Nishinoya beams as Tanaka jumps.

"She's staying at own house which is not far from here" Sugawara says bluntly.  The defeated second years sob so violently it's comical. I smirk and the little spectacle. Shimizu and I walk in the back next to each other.  I follow into the kitchen area as she puts on a apron. "Would you like me to help cook?" I ask as I take off my jacket.

She nods, "What do you think we should make?" she asks. I go over in my head the different nutritional needs for athletes. High protein, low sugar and fat. Medium amount of carbs. "I have an idea but it's definitely not a Japanese dish," I ponder aloud. "Do you think they would mind?" I ask and she shakes her head.

"Perfect," I nod and I write down the thing I'll need from the store. Chicken, white wine, artichoke, herbs, spaghetti, onions and garlic. "I'll need Takeda-sensei to come with me because I need his ID to get white wine," I announce to her. Her eyes widen and looks at me quizzically.

"The alcohol cooks out of the wine, leaving the taste. Plus white wines are usually around only 11% alcohol so no one has to worry about getting alcohol in their systems," she nods and brings Takeda onto the kitchen.

After a lengthy explanation, he agrees to provide his ID. The two of us walk to a nearby general store. "So have you made this before?" he asks. "Are you sure the alcohol will be cooked off?"

I nod, reassuring him for about the twentieth time. Such a worry wart. We arrive at the supermarket and a pick out a good quality for cheap white wine, a jar of artichoke hearts, fresh onion, garlic, chicken breasts and spaghetti. Takeda shows his ID and we head back to the facilities.

We get into the kitchen and I set to work. "Shimizu-san boil some water and when it comes to a boil, put these noodles in it," I say as I hand her the box of spaghetti. "It cooks like rice," she nods and I set to work.

I wash my hands and dig around the kitchen for a cutting board, bowls, a skillet, and knives. I find each of these things and place them on top of a counter space away from the gas stove. I didn't have any gum on hand so I couldn't chew it to keep my eyes from watering as I cut onions. I mentally curse myself for not picking some up at the store.

I place one of three onions on the cutting board and start cutting it. I hear some people start filtering into the dining area which is connected to the kitchen. I dice the first onion without my eyes watering.

As I work on the second onion, my eyes start stinging. I feel tears prick at my eyes and I wipe them away with my forearm. "Chihiro-chan why are you crying? Did you cut your hand?" I look up to see a concerned red head. I shake my head.

 "That's not it at all. I'm just cutting onions," I reply, pushing up my falling glasses. "Oh!" he pipes. I roll my eyes with a small smile before looking back at the onions begging me to end their misery.

I finishing cutting up the onions, garlic and chicken breasts. I set them on the counter top by the stove and see Kiyoko putting the spaghetti into the pot.

I ignite the burner with an iron skillet over the blue flame. I pour olive oil onto it in a large swirling motion.

Third POV

The hungry volleyball players peer into the kitchen at the girl cooking like they've never seen. She dumps the mass of chicken into her skillet and sautes it. She habitually sticks her tongue a little out of the corner of her mouth. She expertly cooks the chicken until it is white. She dumps the vegetables in the skillet and mix them around with her spatula.