Chapter Ninety-Nine "Ending to Begin Again"

I reached out to touch the scar. His skin was warm and familiar, "Margaret?" I could feel his eyes wash over me with concern.

"It's really you?" I sniffled looking up at him. He nodded and chanced a smile; the crease in his cheek emerged slightly. "Isaac?" I reached out to touch him and he took my hand, simply kissing my palm. "What happened?" I demanded. "Where have you been?" I quieted when I noticed him slowly getting to his feet, some strain in his countenance.

"Didn't you get my letters?" he asked steadying himself with a chair as he held a hand out to me, helping me to my feet.

"What happened?" I asked placing my hand over his, looking over him, "Are you hurt?"

"I'm better . . ." He looked towards the sofa, "Would you mind?" I shook my head and took his arm, walking slowly. "Where should I start?"

"The night of our engagement party," I urged. "You promised you'd be back."

"With the contract annulled, there was no need to pretend anymore. I went to find Thomas."

"He did this?" I shrilled.

"No," he smiled taking my hands in his, "but I learned that there are consequences to looking like him." I shook my head not quite understanding. "I went to one of his haunts to find him, but some blokes found me first. I tried to reason with them, but assuming that I was Thomas, they just struck."

"Oh," I gasped, "What happened? What did they do?"

"Not much," he laughed a bit, "There were just two of them, and I was still standing when they left . . . maybe a little worse for wear, but still standing." He gingerly rubbed his chin and I noticed a small scar, "The problem was when they came back."

"Thomas owed quite a bit, and they had come to collect. This time there were five of them and they weren't leaving without something."

"I don't want to know . . ." I closed my eyes as violent images flashed before them.

He pulled me close and kissed my forehead, "I will spare you the details, but I was left for dead. If it wasn't for Sarah . . ."

"Who is Sarah?" I asked or rather demanded.

He smiled widely, "She's outside. I thought you might want to meet her." I looked towards the main hall that ran to the foyer, trying to see if anyone was there. "Come," he sighed and stood, "let us say hello." I took his arm and he smiled, "Still doubtful, Margaret?"

I narrowed my eyes at him, "It's been some time since I had certainty."

"I know," he sighed taking the stairs up to the door slowly, "I intend to correct that."

He watched as I opened the door and went outside. There were three people waiting at the end of the walk, two men and young lady. "May I help you?" I asked warily.

To my surprise Lord Edgehill and Thomas both turned to me. "I said I would find him," Lord Edgehill grinned, "I'm sorry it took so long." I ran to him and gave him a hug. He kissed the top of my head, "Get inside Miss Woodbridge, it's too cold for you to be out without a coat." He followed me inside where Isaac was waiting by the door. We were followed by the young lady and then Thomas, I kept trying to look around to them, but Lord Edgehill made certain that I got inside quickly. He moved to Isaac, "How are you?" he squeezed his son's shoulder, "Do you want this back?" I watched as Isaac took the cane and adjusted his stance.

"Have you told her everything?" Thomas asked as he took the young woman's coat. I stood there silently when I noticed that the young woman was with child.

"Not everything," I said turning to Isaac.

He smiled his cheeky grin, "Margaret, this is Sarah Edgehill, Thomas' wife."

"Wife?" I clucked in surprise, looking at both of them.

Thomas kept his eyes on her, holding her close, "I was sure that the news would have reached you in record time," he mused, "What with Phillip and Faith still in London when it happened."

"Oh yes!" I said as I remembered their big news. "I do recall hearing about it."

Thomas looked at me, "I'm sure."

"Anyway, Sarah found me and got me to their home," Isaac continued.

"It was a bit of a shock to find out that there were two of them," she smiled shyly. Sarah gingerly put a hand to her womb.

"Oh my manners," I admonished myself, "Please, let's get comfortable in the parlor." I led the way and then scurried to the kitchen to get some refreshments. I noticed some of the servants standing out in the herb garden. "Is everything all right?" I asked when I opened the door.

"Yes, Miss," Dorthea answered, "Just doing as we're told."

"Excuse me?"

"We were told to give you some time," Dorthea explained, "The master said you might need some privacy." She exchanged glances with some of the other servants, "Are they back yet?"

"Of course they knew," I shook my head, "Please come inside, everyone." I asked Dorthea to bring some tea and cakes to the parlor once they had warmed themselves. I headed back to my guests, "I hope you're more comfortable now," I said sitting beside Sarah on the sofa.

"Thank you, Miss," she nodded. "Anyway I took to cleaning his wounds and fetched a doctor. He was unconscious for days."

"When did you find out?" I asked, "That he wasn't Thomas?"

"Probably when I walked through the door that evening," Thomas grinned, "I'm not sure who was more surprised."

"I was," Isaac said somberly. Everyone turned to him, "It's no secret we didn't get along, Thomas. But you . . . cared for me for months."

"It wasn't my first choice," Thomas cracked a sly grin, "But I couldn't argue with Sarah." I watched as he put his hand over hers. "Besides, it was my fault."

"That's what you meant?" I gasped.

"Didn't you get the letter?" Thomas and Isaac asked.

"No!" I cried, "I haven't received any word from anyone since I left London."

Lord Edgehill shook his head, "That would be Victoria's doing most likely."

"Yes," Thomas agreed, "she had a bit of a destructive streak after all of this . . ." he made a circle with his hand, gesturing to all of us. "Pretty much anything that came for Margaret met with the fireplace."

I looked away from everyone, "Don't," Lord Edgehill said catching my attention, "She brought everything on herself. Remember that." I nodded reluctantly.

We sat quietly for several minutes, "So . . . now what?" I asked innocently. Everyone looked to Isaac and then they stood and left the room. "Did I say something?" I looked after them.

"Not yet," he said sitting beside me. I turned to find him offering a bunch of violets tied with a satin ribbon.

I fought the tears as I took them, pressing the petals against my lips and inhaling their fragrance, "They're beautiful."

"No," he smiled, sighing as he caught the end of the ribbon and holding it up for me. I was stunned when I noticed the ring he held between his fingers, "Marry me, Margaret."