Chapter 24- Inner Beast

PLEASE REREAD CHAPTER 23- FALLING BEFORE YOU ATTEMPT TO READ THIS ONE TO REFRESH YOUR UNDERSTANDING, THANKS. 'COPY RIGHT ACT 2016©'

Dean Lesley's POV

I sat up from the couch and stretched my arms. They were partially sore from having my Grandkids fall into a deep slumber on them, in the middle of the cartoon we were watching.

I smiled softly at them. Sharon and I   were overjoyed when Rebecca brought them to spend the weekend with us.

I hardly get to see the kids these days, and now thanks to  Rebecca's pregnancy, I get them with me every weekend.

Despite lizzy's constant nagging about her Doll dresses, and Drew's explanation about his football game, today we actually had fun.

"Sharon", I called out to my wife.

She came through the door and I signalled to her that the kids were asleep.

"Could you bring Lizzy to Rebecca's old bedroom and I'll take Drew", I whispered not wanting to wake them.

I held Drew's sleeping form in my arms and was immediately reminded of when Rebecca was a child. She'd always fall asleep on me and I'd have to take her to bed.

I gently placed Drew on the bed while Sharon did the same with Lizzy. I turned the bedside lights off after kissing their forehead and heading back downstairs.

I sat on the couch with Sharon huddled beside me and casually scrolled through channels.

"The kids are such joy aren't they? We should keep them for the whole week", my wife said excitedly.

"Yes, we should ask Rebecca if that's okay, first.", I said kissing her forehead and cuddling her more tightly towards me.

"Breaking News!!!", one of the channels screeched.

"Honey, I really don't want to hear of another murder case, skip it please", Sharon blurted.

Before I could change the channel, the reporter continued drawing my attention. "This is just in, wife of the multimillionaire business mogul, Rebecca Staunton, met with an horrific accident thirty minutes ago on the freeway, 2 miles away from Hotel Garkon. Mrs. Staunton's vehicle was allegedly hit by a trailer truck after she was in the same lane as the oncoming traffic.

It was reported that the entire side of her Honda was taken off completely. This must be a really traumatic incident for both her insanely rich husband and family, given that Rebecca is four months pregnant. Its clear that she was immediately rushed to Mediate Care, one of the top hospitals in the state, where she is in a critical condition. More on this story as soon as we get it. Stay tuned to KLAP News.", the reporter smiled, but my heart had stopped beating and my vision blurred as I tried to comprehend the situation.

I stood up from the couch in a frenzy and grabbed my jacket and hat from the living room post before heading for the door.

"Oh lord, my baby.....my Rebecca. Where are you going Dean?", Sharon cried.

"I'm going to the hospital", I replied as calmly as I could although I was feeling anything but.

"Yes, yes......I'm coming along", she stuttered grabbing her purse.

"No, you should stay here with the kids, Sharon", I told her sternly, and before she could argue, she sighed defeatedly.

"Okay, drive safely honey and call me as soon as you get there.", she pleaded and I could hear the inner turmoil in her voice.