Chapter Five

Chapter Five (Ethan's POV)

"No!" The protest ripped from my throat as soon as Lucas seemed to realize what was going on, at least, I think so. The next moment had me stunned as Lucas screamed. It caught me off guard. I had never heard him get so loud before.

But it wasn't an angry scream, not like the actions that followed as he lunged to his feet, struggling to attack Carter, only to fall back. He hit the ground and fell like a sack of potatoes, but he wasn't unconscious. At least, I don't think so. His eyes were still open, but he didn't seem to be seeing anything that was going on around him.

During his frustrated and terrified scream, I took my chance and lunged forward. Rico and Mike leapt back, mostly stunned by how things had esculated. I grabbed Carter's wrist, twisting it hard enough to hear a gross crack. His eyes bugged and they only bugged even more when I rammed my elbow into his torso, right into his solar plexus before I swung my leg back and around, knocking his feet out from under him.

I whirled around, snatching up the knife and throwing it at one of the guys by the doors.

"Get a teacher!" I snarled. They gaped at me in horror for the longest time before I whipped around and went straight to Lucas, dropping to his side, my hand resting gently and carefully on his shoulder.

He was still awake, but just staring straight ahead past tired eyes.

"Lucas? Say something, please..." I managed, trying to push him onto his back. He just flopped limply, his fingers gently twitching and trying to touch his hair, the hood having fallen back to reveal his clear, smooth skin and his dark blue eyes that looked black now. He reminded me of one of those porcelain dolls that I saw at the mall. He even looked as small as one of them now, just lying there and staring up at the starry night sky in a daze.

"Uhm... Daddy said no..." He murmured.

"What?" I asked, confused. What the heck did that mean? I shook my head quickly as I carefully lifted Lucas up in my arms. His head flopped back as he moaned, his fingers curling weakly before he slumped his head against my chest.

"We should.... Maybe... I don't know.... Daddy doesn't like strangers..."

Who was he talking to? It sounded like he was lost in his own little world, but I said nothing about it as a couple of teachers raced out into the cold night, gasping when they saw Carter writhing on the sidewalk, howling in pain as he cradled his wrist.

"What the hell is going on here?!" Coach asked in horror, his eyes widening before he looked at me. I glared at him.

"Don't you dare look at me!" I barked.

"You're yelling at me." Lucas whimpered, his eyes blurring behind a film of tears that never fell. I grimaced at how weak and fragile he sounded. I looked up as the teachers stared at me.

Shit. This looked bad.

"Carter," I managed at last, trying not to raise my voice, "Carter was trying to get back at me for yesterday, er, for homecoming. Hell, I don't know! He spiked the punch and I bet you Lucas isn't the only one who's on the verge of passing out. He slashed at him with a knife and he was going to frame me. I swear it, you can ask them." I looked at the three guys who had been against Carter's whole charade.

The hesitance in their eyes to come to my defense sent my stomach sinking into a pit of despair.

Please don't do this to me...

"Call the police," Coach said suddenly, not taking his eyes off me, "Someone take Carter inside and get a first aid kit. The rest of you, inside now." Everyone scrambled to obey him, but when I tried to go in, Carter stepped in front of me, holding a hand up firmly. I stiffened in place, holding Lucas tightly as he moaned, squirming a little in my arms.