5

Shyne woke up in his parents home in Upper Manhattan. It was quiet, which was unusual seeing as he always heard his brothers going at each other.

Shyne was the middle child of the family with brothers aged 24 and 19. Shaheem was the 24 year old and Shakai was the youngest one.

He got up and brushed his teeth and washed off his face before heading downstairs to the large kitchen that his was in his childhood home.

" Morning mama ", Shyne kissed her on the cheek before taking a seat at the Island joining her to watch the news.

" Morning ", She told him rather glumly.

" what's up mama? ", Shyne asked with a raised eyebrow.

" Samantha died last night in a car accident ", Monica said with sadness in her strong bajan accent.

Shyne fellt sadness. Samantha was one of his mother's only friends. He had know Samantha for a good 12 years; she used to braid his hair when he was younger.

" Does Coolie know ? ", Shyne asked. " I'm not too sure. That poor girl. Sammie was telling me that she graduated not long ago ", Monica sighed with sorrow.

" We should go pay our respects ma. She was a good woman ", Shyne told his mother.

It was the truth too.
Samantha was a good hearted person and she always did what was best.

" Yeah, let me go and get my purse ", she said before going upstairs.

Shyne thought about Coolie. He hadn't seen her in years. He imagined her to be fine as hell. He remembered when Samantha used to say to Monica, " Monica, keep yuh son away before mi baby fall in love before due time ".

It was true. Him and Kym were incredibly close but they drifted apart when Shyne became a teen and started being under his father and older brother's wings.

Shyne's thoughts were interrupted by his mother telling him she was ready. Shyne grabbed his keys and slid in to his slides before leaving out after his mother.

Kym had been called by one of her moms stylists. She was told that there was a lot of people paying respect and leaving flowers and candles outside the shop and such.

Kym felt empty and emotionless, but none the less , she decided to put on a good poker face to face the public.

She didn't bother with make up or hair that day. She put some curl activator in her hair and put on a simple Nike tech tracksuit bottoms with a Nike t-shirt and some slides and slippers.

She didn't feel to make an effort. She wasn't there to impress anybody. After finishing her simple outfit, she left out of her home walking to her mothers hairdressers.

She was in deep thought as she wondered what happened next. Her mother provided a roof over her head and now she was gone who would pay all the bills? Yeah Kym worked but her mom did most things for her. She always made sure her insurance was paid and that there was gas in the car. She always gave Kym money at the end of the month just in case of emergencies but that was only for 6 months.