26. Look

"This feels like a hormone graveyard... I bet none of these guys has had a good lay in years that doesn't include Mr. Lefty or Righty." Drake whispered against Warden's ear after they took their seats. 

"You do realize most of them can hear you, right?" He hissed back, though the question already had an obvious answer. 

"Duh." Drake replied, drawing a sigh from Warden as he turned his attention to the judge, who had just taken his own seat. 

The proceedings went on just the way he thought they might. He gave his best testimony about how Cerat wasn't some bloodthirsty monster out to kill people, but the jury seemed less than impressed by the few examples he'd chosen to use. 

His father, who was sitting on the panel of jurors, seemed the most sympathetic, which wasn't much, and sympathy didn't win cases. 

When it was finally Drake's turn to go on the stand, Warden was about ready to throw up the meager lunch he'd eaten. He had no idea what the guy had up his sleeve, but his earlier comment hadn't settled Warden's nerves, in the least. 

Drake sauntered up to the stand and dropped down into the seat, seemingly without a care in the world. 

The prosecutor walked up to him with the same list of questions he'd hammered him and Cerat with already. It was hard to lie when surrounded by angels, and a few archangels, so they'd had to tell the truth, which had definitely hurt them. Even though letting Cerat eat spinach, and leaving his shock collar broken, as well as not letting his teeth be filed, didn't hurt anyone at all, it still counted against them. 

"Hello, Drake. I'd like to ask you some questions, if I may?" The man said, knowing damn well that he could. Of course, Drake could decide not to answer them, or reply to them like his normal smart ass self, but not being honest would probably just make things even worse. 

When Drake raised an eyebrow, the man frowned. 

"You know what, I believe this trial should come to an end, don't you?" Drake said, drawing a few confused murmurs from the large group that had gathered to observe the proceedings. 

The prosecutor, who happened to be one of the archangels present, seemed almost relieved. Not likely because the trial was ending, but more so because he didn't have to deal with Drake's attitude. It evidently preceded him.

"I agree... we have more than enough evidence to show that the agreed-upon rules were not followed in many instances." He said quietly, as if his words might get a rebuttal from Drake. 

When Drake slowly nodded, but didn't move his gaze from the prosecutor, the man turned toward the judge. 

"Hold on." Drake said suddenly, snapping his fingers as if he had just remembered something. 

Leaning forward, he cupped his hands around his mouth and yelled. "Hey granny! Get your ass in here!" 

Granny? 

Brow furrowed, Warden slowly turned in his seat, with the rest of the people watching the trial. His jaw dropped open when the owner of the pet shop walked in, her arms crossed over her chest and several pieces of paper in her hand. 

"You said that you would call for me in a respectable manner, Drake." She said, clearly unhappy with being called granny. 

Drake just waved her off as he stood up and hopped down from the stand to walk over. When Flora was close enough, he bowed dramatically toward the judge. 

"Madam granny-ma." 

Flora sighed and stopped, moving the sheets of paper in front of her. "This is the contract for that vampire, Cerat. The paper states that he must complete a minimum of one hundred and eighty days at the store. There are no exceptions stated and he has signed it." She said as she held up the paper.